Web and Social Media Design Hampton

Weekly Readings

Weekly Reading – (November 17, 2020)

What in the world was that? I am shocked. I don’t even know what to say. I didn’t even know what to click. What was the point of that truly? I don’t get it. It made me very uncomfortable.

Weekly Reading – (November 10, 2020)

1. The internet has the ability to help us to do anything, including being wise.
  2. We can be addicted to anything, we can be slave to anything. I think he is making this deeper than it is. He is giving it more credit than it actually deserves.
  3. It’ll make it easier to find what you are actually searching for.

Weekly Reading – (November 3, 2020)

1. Honestly, it wouldn’t matter if they put up a warning because people can easily just click out of it. There is an option of that warning on the phones right now and yet most people don’t have the option on because they don’t care.
  2. Teen brains are now wired to get happy when they get likes on twitter. Certain regions of their brains get activated by likes. “This is the same group of regions responding when we see pictures of a person we love or when we win money” so getting likes is a really big deal to teenagers.

Weekly Reading – (October 27, 2020)

2. The Justice Department sued Google for abusing its dominance in online search and advertising. Apple, Amazon, and Facebook are also under investigation at both the Justice Department and the FTC. The case filed against Google alleges that Google uses billions of dollars collected from advertisers to say phone manufacturers to ensure Google is the default search engine on browsers. I honestly don’t care, google is reliable and it works. If I wanted to sue another search engine I could easily click another one. I don’t think Google will be impacted all that much, people are still going to use google regardless.

Weekly Reading – (October 10, 2020)

1. Explain what you learned that will be helpful for you when developing your Web and social media campaign. For our campaign, the most helpful tip was creating various social media campaigns. Different campaigns can reach different people and make our audience wider. Our website requires people to put in their email address and that really helps with action getting. Getting the word out is going to be the best way to increase our audience.
  2. Pick two and explain for each the campaign goal and how the copy and visuals are helping to meet the goals.  Amnesty International’s goal is to campaign for human rights to be enjoyed by everyone. Their campaign is to end abuses of human rights. The visuals are helpful because they are easy to see and understand. The visuals are compelling and invoke emotions which also helps towards their campaign. NPCA mission is to protect and enhance America’s National Park System for present and future generations. The website features pictures of the different parks around the country so it definitely helps people want to act now and help save the parks.

Weekly Reading – (September 22, 2020)

Part One:

1. Design: Sets the tone for the brand, establishes credibility.
  2. Engagement: The call to action for audiences, offers a clear way to get involved
  3. Imagery: Emotionally connects to the audience, calls people to action
  4. Storytelling: stories communicate the brands cause which adds to the narrative
  5. Sociability: creates a deeper engagement for the nonprofit organization

My favorite case study is planned parenthood because it embodies everything the article has to say. They have great imagery, engages the audience, and provides amazing stories.

Weekly Readings – (September 14, 2020)

Part One:

1. Who founded change.org? Ben Rattray
  2. When was change.org founded? 2007
  3. What’s its mission? To raise awareness for different causes including human rights and health issues
  4. I sign any petition about human rights, the most recent one was about what is going on in China with the Muslim community.

Part Two:

Weekly Readings – (September 8, 2020)

1. I believe news articles that are embedded with other articles are good because it gives more information about whatever you may be researching about. An article from an MIT student, states that hyperlinking is convenient and makes articles easier to read and understand. It provides more insight into what you are reading in case you want to learn more about that subject. According to Moz, when you use related articles it provides credibility to your article.
  2. I believe ad blockers are good because there is some content I just don’t want to see and if can avoid seeing it, then by all means block the ads for me. I think it is acceptable when you can decide what ads you are blocking. Intego, says that ads blockers are good because you can potentially avoid malicious ads or malware.

Weekly Readings – (September 1, 2020)

explain what you learned about the difference between UI vs UX, how they work together, and what UI and UX designers need to research.

UI is the user interface and UX is the technology behind the website. They are commonly confused, but they work together to provide the best experience for their users.