Reading

Book summary :

Graphic and Digital Design

Reading the book by Heller and Vienne has offered me great insight into the world of graphic design. The field has experienced numerous changes, which are largely attributed to the computer era that turned most of the processes digital. It seemed as though it would be the end for graphic designers, but it is inspiring to see that those in the industry adapted to the change and made it a strength that went ahead to define the true nature of graphic design. It is an indication that adapting to change is the only way to thrive because the only constant thing is that change will always occur.

The interviews, especially the one with Michael Bierut were very inspirational. They have allowed me to see that graphic design is a passion that is a relentless need to tell a story using words and pictures. Bierut was fascinated by design from an early age, and this saw him make the choices that turned him into a recognized brand. Bierut lists listening as his greatest strength because it allows him to get inspiration from his clients. I believe listening is a critical skill for anyone in the field because it creates room for new insight, and it is the best way to come up with something unique.

One of the most important lessons I have gained from the book concerns risk. From the various interviews I have read, most of the designers took great risks that eventually paid off and gave them the opportunity to practice the craft on their own terms. Starting a studio or being an employee is a question that has been raised in the book, and being a freelancer is a great way to succeed. Taking the risk to start once studio should be informed by the responsibility that comes with the position, and when all are recognized, one should not only look at the risk but also the gratification that comes with pursuing personal projects on one’s terms.s

The Perfect Portfolio

I have learned that a portfolio is crucial for business and an individual because it stands as a reflection of both to potential customers. People get to know a business or the person as a brand through a portfolio, which essentially means that it should have the relevant details that lure them in. A logo represents how people identify a business and is essential in any given portfolio, and this should be followed by a tagline that lures in potential customers. The details are key, and a portfolio is supposed to describe the services being offered so that customers can know if their respective needs will be satisfied. Blogs are a great way of self-promotion since they increase your online presence and allow you to engage with the public and sharing personal information allows you to form a bond with the customers. I have seen that blogs play a significant role when it comes to creating a positive image to the public, and this keeps a person relevant.

Writing Resumes

What recruiters look for on resumes?

Recruiters or hiring managers look for keywords on a resume. About 75% of resumes are rejected because they are not formatted as per ATS (Applicant Tracking System). Keywords for a specific industry attract the hiring managers. Besides, it is easier to skim through a resume with keywords and quickly understand an individual’s skills and achievements. Sites such as ZipJob and Jobscan are important in ensuring that candidates have the appropriate keywords for a position. It is also important to have relationship between the information provided in a resume and LinkedIn as recruiters regularly check if there is a connection.

Thirdly, recruiters look for the experiences and abilities of individuals regardless of where they schooled. Hiring managers are interested in what you can do for them. Therefore, it is critical to include information on the resume detailing your professional growth. Jobseekers should concentrate on listing their achievements and describing their unique abilities. Additionally, recruiters love to see unique and interesting hobbies. The personal interests must also be interesting to discuss when one is invited for an interview. This information will be helpful to me when I am drafting a resume.

Why a functional resume

A functional style of writing resumes is most ideal for people with little employment history. Fresh graduates are best suited to write a functional resume due to their little experience. A functional resume enables potential employees to see the skills and experience of a job seeker quickly. Therefore, a functional resume requires brainstorming an individual’s skills and accomplishments. This might include volunteer work, education, and academic background, on-the-job training, clubs and community affiliations, and experience of working in another country. This is what I aim when writing my resume as I have little work experience.

The next important element of a functional resume is arranging it by category and not time. There should be sections of the skills that a person can offer. For example, one can have a category of experience, computer skills, and education. Nevertheless, the focus should be on the problems solved and the changes made in the organization where a person worked. Using an active verb to describe the experiences gives the resume a consistent tone. At the beginning, one should have a summary of the resume where the recruiter can quickly identify the job-seekers skills and achievements. I will draft my resume in the way described so it can stand out to recruiters.