New Faculty Welcome – Fall 2021
Welcome to Marymount
- 5:00-5;30 pm: Welcome and introduction. President Becerra, Provost El Rewini and other members of the Academic Leadership Team
- 5:30-6:00 pm: A conversation with your college Deans
- 6:00-6:30 pm: Meet your Library Liaisons (Library faculty)
- 6:30 – 8:00 pm Effective Teaching Strategies (Dr. Provenzano)
Some information for the evening.
- Parking–you will get a ticket when you arrive in the lot at Ballston. Please bring this to the guard desk in the Lobby and get it validated when you arrive.
- Teaching Blog/Saints Online Canvas Course/
- Part Time Faculty Canvas: https://marymount.instructure.com/enroll/KPFKNR (You need an MU account to access. I will go over during the session.)
Here is a page of useful information- we will go over this during orientation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ux_XjH1wpWbiWZOVgLwF0Vc4nLnqB3xIvic6H5-CCWM/edit?usp=sharing
Where do I find ________?
- Information about Marymount’s history and mission:
- Information on MU Offices and Resources?
- On the portal at this page: https://my.marymount.edu/Offices-Resources
- Important Dates:
- Start with the Academic Calendar (Registrar’s Office): https://marymount.edu/Academics/Services-Resources/Registrar-s-Office/Academic-Calendar
- University-wide events are listed on the MU Website: https://www.marymount.edu/Home
- Student events are posted to the Engage System: https://marymount.campuslabs.com/engage/
- PARKING INFO:
- Link to the parking office: https://www.marymount.edu/Student-Life/Auxiliary-Services/Parking-Services NOTE: You will need to go to the parking office on Main Campus or speak with the Parking Representatives at Ballston to get a tag.
- Detailed information from Academic Affairs:
- Part-time Faculty Handbook is also on that page: https://my.marymount.edu/my.marymount.edu/media/Academic-Affairs-and-Enrollment-Management/PT-FAC-Handbook-19-20.pdf
- Center for Global Engagement
- Saints Center for Service:
Office of Sponsored Programs Page: https://marymount.edu/Academics/Research-at-Marymount
Research Collaboration CANVAS https://marymount.instructure.com/enroll/D4HNJ6
Some Helpful Items:
- Beginning of the term Checklist. This is just a guide to help you get started–it is a Word Doc
- Here is a link to the Latest Part-time Faculty Handbook: https://marymount.edu/marymount.edu/media/Academic_media/office-of-the-provost/PT-FAC-Handbook-20-21.pdf
- Help with teaching strategies, lesson planning or assignment design. Contact Director of Teaching, and Academic Development (Joe P) at email@example.com.
- Help with Tutoring for your students: The Student Academic Hub can assist your students. https://marymount.edu/Academics/Services-Resources/Student-Academic-Hub/
- Getting Help with Canvas: MU IT Services has some resources posted here: https://my.marymount.edu/Offices-Resources/Information-Technology-Services/IT-for-Faculty-Staff/Canvas-Adoption/Canvas-for-Instructors
- Link for connecting to the MU Network.
- Here is the IT Page: https://my.marymount.edu/Offices-Resources/Technology
- Here is the page on My Network Devices: https://my.marymount.edu/Offices-Resources/Information-Technology-Services/My-Network-Devices
- For training or assistance with integrating technology into your teaching, please submit a consultation request here: https://goo.gl/forms/ZO5rkNG8SO3OA8k92
Here is our Vaccine Info:
Please upload your vaccination record to WorkDay before the start of the Academic Semester (August 30, 2021). Alternatively, if you are in need of an exemption from the vaccine, please print and fill out this form (Links to an external site.), then return to HR by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or in person by or before the start of the fall semester. All faculty must have uploaded their vaccine requirement or submitted for an exemption to the policy in order to be compliant, and all faculty need to be compliant by the start of the fall semester.
Here are instructions for uploading your vaccine records into WorkDay:
- A good place to begin is at the main page of our library: https://www.marymount.edu/Academics/Library-Learning-Services
- Link to the search window for the entire WRLC consortium: https://wrlc-mar.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/search?vid=01WRLC_MAR:01WRLC_MAR&sortby=rank
- The excellent listing of LibGuides: http://marymount.libguides.com/DB_Subjects/List
- The Listing of Library Liaisons: https://www.marymount.edu/Academics/Library-Learning-Services/Faculty-Services/Library-Liaison-Program/Library-Liaisons
- Page of Research Resources: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MWNJCVMpZ_gBZsh0ESbcs6_wZulcEi3nkeVdPTTW21g/edit?usp=sharing
Academic Affairs – Teaching Supprt
- SAS Office Portal Page: https://www.marymount.edu/Academics/Services-Resources/Center-for-Teaching-Learning/Student-Access-Services
- Tutoring: https://www.marymount.edu/Academics/Services-Resources/Center-for-Teaching-Learning/Tutoring-Writing-Assistance
- Faculty Support: https://my.marymount.edu/Offices-Resources/Center-for-Teaching-and-Learning/Resources-for-Faculty
You can also send an email to me at email@example.com
MU Inclusion Statement
Marymount University welcomes and values all members of our community. Guided by the mission of our founders, the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary (RSHM), to achieve unity through diversity, Marymount honors our diversity as a source of strength. Our differences inspire intellectual curiosity and collectively allow us to tackle the challenges of the world. We seek to foster an inclusive community in which each person’s race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, age, ability, class, national origin, and immigration status are fully respected and celebrated. According to the vision of the RSHM that “ALL may have life, and have it to the FULL,” we strive to create an atmosphere of mutual respect, cooperation, and civility where all community members are S.A.I.N.T.S—Safe, Accepted, Included, Needed, Treasured, and Seen. where all community members are S.A.I.N.T.S—Safe, Accepted, Included, Needed, Treasured, and Seen.
Some useful links for teaching:
Checklist: Beginning of the term Checklist.
Questions for every teacher to consider: https://commons.marymount.edu/teachlearn/10questions/
10 things you should say to your students every day: ( Courtesy of Dr. Ron Ritchhart) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ROEIjLpMZ2FZI3dd0boSLSP1TGGOMZ4H/view?usp=sharing
The Understanding Map – Dr. Ron Ritchhart
Ladder of Feedback:
SCHEV Teaching Awards: https://www.schev.edu/docs/default-source/institution-section/ofa/2022-ofa-guidelines.pdf
The Guidelines are based on Boyer’s model:
Boyer’s Model profiles four domains of faculty scholarship:
The Scholarship of Discovery, the building of new knowledge through traditional forms of academic research;
The Scholarship of Integration, the interpretation, connection and use of knowledge across disciplines;
The Scholarship of Application, the aiding society and professions in addressing problems; and
The Scholarship of Teaching & Learning, the development of teaching models, practices, and approaches for achieving optimal learning.
Boyer model–here is a pdf: https://depts.washington.edu/gs630/Spring/Boyer.pdf