Readings

#8

This week we read chapter four, these are the five things I learned about selecting and designing with image:

1. Be mindful of Gestalt Psychology when picking an image. Gestalt is a branch of study dealing with the self-organizing tendencies of the mind and brain. The laws of perceptual organization suggest that the human brain favors whole forms over random smatterings of disconnected elements. So do not break images up unnessicarily.
  2. A halftone image is formed with black dots of various shades of gray and is a cost effective way to print images in newspapers. It is also used an overlay effect in many modern pieces.
  3.  A high-key image is characterized by bright tones with very few dark areas. A low-key image containing mostly dark tones or color levels. A low-key image communicates a serious, somber, or reflective mood.
  4. A dutch tilt is a cinematic technique that involves tilting the camera so the horizon is not parallel to the bottom of the frame. Used to connote a sense of motion in a scene.
  5. Always choose appropriate images to accompany copy.

Boolean logic, was originally developed by George Boole in the mid 1800s. Boolean logic is a form of algebra in which all values are reduced to either TRUE or FALSE.  It works really well with computers with information being mapped into bits and bytes.

#7

In the reading for this week we read about the difference between a brand and a 360 brand. The difference is the 360 brand is consistant to itself always, not just visually. It’s about more than a specific shade of red or perfected typeface, its about the core values that the brand embodies.

In the video I learned about the various trends in web design for 2018. Some were more applicable to me as a designer than other, but all were interesting and insightful. My main take away was how minimilism as a trend in design is still on the rise. At the begining of the video the trend of negative space was discussed. Then it moved on to bold typography that supported the elements on screen. Finally, the video ended with the increasing popularity of the broken grid structure. All of these trends seem to work really well together and make sense as a whole. It illustrates how important each aspect of a design is and how they work together. In the future I definately will be keeping these trends in mind while designing for the web.

#6

YEA! is run by the Arlington County of Commerce for middle school to highschool students. Over the course of the program, students develop business ideas, write business plans, conduct market research, pitch their plans to a panel of investors, obtain funding, and then actually launch and run their own legally-registered, fully-formed companies. They work with Arlington business professionals to develop ideas and create an actual business plan and presentation. At an Investor Panel event Students pitch their business plan to a panel of investors made up of members of the local community, who decide which students receive funding to launch their business or social movement. The very end of the program is marked by a graduation ceremony.

My part as a grpahic deisgner will be to help create the visul identity for one of these aspiring buisness owners. They will fill out a form with their company name, over view, and what they want from me.

#5

Shadow Breaks

Fades

Rising Color

Simplicity

Simple Overlays

MultiCentric

Ellipses

Text Boxes

Yin Yang

Pasta Bends

Wrapped

MicroLines

Doubles

Wings

Color Split

My favorite three trends were Wings, wrapped, and simple overlays.

My Favorite overlay logo was the mastercard. My favoriet wrapped logo was the one for Bullseyed. The best logo from wings was the design for The Michel and Susan Dell foundation.

#4

This week we learned about the importance of typography in deisgn, which cannot be over stated. The type defines the entire work, and as such should be research just like any other element of a work. Different typefaces were created for different purposes and finding the right one requires the same thought and effort that any other part of the piece.

#3

This week I learned to embrace negative space! While non designers  are afraid of negative space and think it is bad an everything should be filled up, this is not good praxis. Negative space can enhance your work, bringing attention to specific elements and adding to the visual hierarchy.

2/6

From the Adobe article, I learned a lot. It was almost information overload but in a really exciting and challenging way. One of the biggest takeaways from the piece though was the need to have a diverse skill set. From portraitist to animating illustrations, the modern graphic designer is goine to need to have varied skill sets that will put them ahead of the competition. Even as an intern now I have been asked to take on many tasks that are out of my skills set so I have to learn as I go. In the future, I’m sure this trend will continue.

1/30

I learned how important the emotion associated with a color is. This association immediately invokes a certain feeling in the viewer and cannot easily be subverted.

Second, I learned about to pair colors in complementary pairs. These colors are “opposites” on the color wheel but they bring out the most from one another.

Another thing I learned was about split complementary colors. These are colors that are on either side of the true compliment on the color wheel.

I also learned about how the meaning of color varies from culture to culture. For example white in parts of Asia is associated with death while in the west black is.