Travel Blog

Rome Edition

Group Two:

| 4 Comments

GROUP 2 Discussion Questions:

1. Why do you think Brutus starts to take lead of Caesar’s assassination despite his relationship with Caesar? Does this make him a bad person? Why or why not?
  2. Does Brutus have potential of being a leader? Provide evidence as to why or why not.
  3. Act 2 scene 2- “Caesar shall go forth” is said three times. The number three is brought up multiple times throughout the play. What might the number three signify?
  4. Did Caesar know he was walking into his assassination? Was it fate or could have it been prevented?
  5. In Act 2 scene 2- what can be taken away in regards to women’s role in Roman society?     

4 Comments

1. 4. Did Caesar know he was walking into his assassination? Was it fate or could have it been prevented?

– As discussed in class the word of Caesar’s death spread as a rumour around r Rome. I find it odd that everyone knew about the assertion but Caesar. Caesars closest circle and follower knew ( some even attempted to warn him). He still died. Perhaps this is Shakespeare foreshadowing that his death was fate? That everyone knew, and efforts were made to prevent it, yet it occurred. proving it was fated that Caesar must die

2. In Act 2 scene 2- what can be taken away in regards to women’s role in Roman society?

Act 2 Scene 2, portrays women as weak and powerless. For example, when Calphurnia dreamt about Caesar’s murder, Caesar and Decius Brutus disregarded her interpretation and made her seem that she was crazy and her dreams were foolish and unreasonable.

3. 1. I think he feels that what he is doing is the right thing to do for the Roman Empire and because of that he decides to take the lead. Cassius was able to convince him that this was the right thing to do. Being a “bad” person is subjective and what you think makes a bad person. I think anyone who wants to kill someone else makes a bad person. I don’t think plotting to kill someone is something a good person would do. Also he was friends with Caesar and friends don’t turn on their friends.

4. 2) I think Brutus has the potential of being an effective leader because he shows honor and positive reputation among the Roman citizens and before joining the conspirators Brutus was careful on why he believes Caesar should die.