Pride and Prejudice and Quantitative Methods for Scholars of Texts

I started reading the chapter from our textbook “Quantitative Methods for Scholars of Texts” and the first thing that come to my mind is the amount of money that repeatedly mentioned on Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice.” This money meant something important to the novel. At that time, wealth was one important factor to make a man in a higher level of society and to be wanted as a husband for many girls and their families.
Also, I saw the age is mentioned several times, and each time it has its rule. For example, when Charlotte agreed to marry Mr.Collins, Austen writes:

“This preservative she had now obtained; and at the age of twenty-seven, without having ever been handsome, she felt all the good luck of it.” (Volume 1, Chapter 22)

It shows that the age of 27 at that time was considered to be too old to get married. Here, the significance of the number has changed. While that fact is the age of 27-year-old is still means 27-year-old, it’s not too late to get married today.

Numbers on Pride and Prejudice found also on spaces and distances. How long they travel from one place to another, for example. Or, how long Elizabeth walked to Mr. Bingley’s home while her sister Jane was sick there. How weird it was for her to walk all this way!