Map the invisibility in Absalom! Absalom! …

I remember when I saw the map of Yoknapatawpha County in Absalom! Absalom! by Faulkner; using this map I was able to find where and why these themes occur. Eventually, I ended up creating my literary map. This novel has taken me to this imaginary county and made me visualize the events that happened in the novel. However, after reading Maps by Morretti, I think that maps can go beyond geography in the literary works. I can visualize a map about pretty much everything in a novel, as it’s another way to analyze a certain aspect deeply in a literary text. It is not just a map of a place, it can describe the relation between characters, the distance between those characters, and the connection of the social-economic elements of that place in that time.  For example, mapping relationships between the characters Absalom! Absalom! and what affect them? Or whether the distance between them has affected the communication? Moretti points out how mapping elements such as material or space is not materialist nor geographic, but the literary map can actually show us the social, economic, and faith factors that is a part of this “system of geography.” By linking all these details, I can analyze Absalom! Absalom! visually and therefore, more easily. In Faulkner’s novel, the county was totally imaginary, however it is a duplication of events in Lafayette county, Mississippi during slavery in United States. `in mapping this county, I can link the social, economic factors that influenced both counties and what both factors meant to serve.

By using MindView application, I want to compare how plantation had served as an economic factor to Lafayette county while it served as theme in Yoknapatawpha County. This mind view layout should help students link the purpose of these factors in regard of socio-economic necessity and how it reflected on the society. When student study this novel, they will understand what the outcomes of these aspects and how it been developed as literary themes in the novel; moreover, they can refer to the geographical historical elements related to U.S. history.

Absalom! Absalom! Absalom! Absalom!

It is quality of connections that maps can show. connecting what had affected this imaginative county and the actual one could be hard specially in Absalom! Absalom! It is complicated novel with advanced language can prevent students from reaching this connection, which can definitely enhance their understanding from literature and social perspectives. This detailed information can be misunderstood or ignored by students when they are studying fictional readings. Morretti emphasizes the importance of mapping as “a good way to prepare a text for analysis.” The way that map can give the students/readers a view distance that can synthesize a particular view in a particular subject.