0 points, but must be completed correctly to pass the course.
Send this to me by email by the end of the day (midnight) on January 22.
This is an exercise in logical reasoning. There is no need to do any outside research on these topics, other than reviewing concepts from the textbook. Hint: consider the discussion starting around page 29.
Here are some statements about politics. (My inclusion of them here does not constitute an endorsement.) Consider each of the following statements:
- Democracy is the best form of government.
- People who voted for Donald Trump are on average stupider than people who did not.
- People are more likely to vote for racist politicians when there have been more earthquakes and hurricanes.
- Legal restrictions on abortion do not reduce the number of abortions.
- The advantages of abolishing the U.S. electoral college would outweigh the disadvantages.
For each statement, write a very brief paragraph that addresses the following question:
Is the statement normative or empirical? Why?