Coronavirus research

How to survive self-isolation based on Astronaut Scott Kelly’s experience of spending nearly one year on the International Space Station. Below are his tips, and how I’ve been trying to put them into practice! https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/chris-hadfield-self-isolation-advice/

1. Follow a schedule. I am an early riser. My routine continues more or less the same, except I substituted my morning gym visit with the elliptical, while watching the daily COVID-19 news.
  2. Get plenty of sleep. I have discovered a new functionality on my iPhone that lets me know when it’s bedtime, and I am trying to follow this advice to ensure I get enough sleep – a new goal for me!
  3. Take the opportunity to watch a new movie, TV series or pick up that book you’ve been meaning to read. I have watched a number of newly-released movies. My favorites are “Ford v Ferrari” and “Judy,” and I’m reading “The American Story” by David Rubenstein.
  4. Go out into nature and get some exercise. I discovered my neighborhood for the first time in almost two years that I’ve been living in Arlington, and it’s quite lovely!
  5. Keep others at a six-foot distance. Even while walking through the neighborhood or during a trip to the grocery store, be careful to follow this advice on social distancing.
  6. Keep a journal and chronicle your experiences for the day.This will be something interesting to read once this is all over, and it will end!
  7. Stay in contact through video calls. Doing so with your classes or business meetings through Zoom or other technology platforms will help you feel connected during these challenging times.

Coronavirus responders:
https://ktvz.com/health/2020/03/24/some-people-just-wont-stay-home-during-a-pandemic-six-reasons-may-explain-why/

The over-responders are the panic buyers who have stockpiled months worth of supplies. They’re scared, and buttressing themselves with stacks of toilet paper is empowering them and easing that fear. 

The people in the middle are doing what they’re being asked to do without panicking or acting too lax — they’re pandemic Goldilocks. 

Under-responders are those disobeying public health guidance — the ones who consider themselves invulnerable. They aren’t following social distancing because they believe they won’t get sick, even though it could prevent more vulnerable people from becoming infected.