Due Jan. 21- article review

1. Watch this video:

2 Watch this video:

3. Look over this: http://www.robinfrohardt.com

4. As a comment to this post answer the following questions:

1. Do you think this is an effective use of performance media? If yes why if no why not?
2. What is the message viewers/audiences take away form this performance media piece?
3. What is another cause or awareness that inflatable puppets might work well for and why?

7 Comments on “Due Jan. 21- article review

1. 1. I think the first video was a somewhat effective performance media piece. It was effective as it had interaction from the audience and used a mix of mediums (materials/art, video, and sound effects). The video, however, wasn’t successful in fulling explaining the message of the piece. The second piece is effective as it had a clear message with interaction and a theatrical performance/puppet art.

2. From the first video, the viewers come away with a message of garbage collection and the type of things that are trapped in a trashcan. In the second video, the viewers get a sense of life with OCD and how it looks/acts.

3. I think inflatable puppets would work well for something to do with cars/automotive. When I think of inflatables, I first think of those red men at car dealerships. I think if you put an unusual inflatable somewhere it would create attention for whatever cause you were going for.

2. 1. Do you think this is an effective use of performance media? If yes why if no why not?
    I think it is effective because the performance encourages others to interact with it, therefore allowing the audience to have a better understanding of what is going on and creates inspiration.
    The message that the viewers takeaway is that trash can be reused to create something rather than jump “getting rid of it” It can still serve a purpose.
    Another cause that Inflatable puppets might work well for is raising awareness to children, it attracts a specific audience.

3. 1. The first video (Dumpster Monster) was somewhat an effective performance media because it had tons of interactions with the dumpster monster popping up and the roaches running around and such. Also, the sound effect made it seem more realistic. The second video had a clear message where she was explaining puppetry, live videos, etc. She was explaining how Frank have a compulsive disorder.

2. In the first video, the message that audiences can take away from the performance media piece is what can be found in a dumpster and what it can attract like the flies and roaches you’ve seen in the video. In the second video, the audience can just listen to her voice and get a sense of the life of Frank who has OCD.

3. Another cause or awareness that inflatable puppets might work well for is helping kids in school (education). I think puppetry can help develop imagination, creativity and observation skills in children.

4. 1. I do think it was an effective way of speaking about our continuous usage of garbage. It also engages people as the monster comes to life and see the monster being handled by the janitors as the control the monster dumpster. The second one not as much as we only get an explanation of the pigeon show rather than a small example of the show that can give us an idea of how it looks. Much like on the website.
    2. The message that is taken away is to be aware of the amount of garbage that we as people keep accumulating. The pigeon simply takes away what the show is about and the story that the artist placed.
    3. Mental health awareness that people might not be aware of like dyslexia or schizophrenia for people to experience them. People have a basic understanding of them but it is such a personal thing that affects people in massive ways in everyday life.

5. The first video was very interesting, having the trash viewed as a poster definitely sends the message of its bad and we need to get rid of it. I see it be more influential in the younger audience. another projects that an inflatable puppet can work is with climate change or with animal abuse, I think it provides an activity that doesn’t only tell viewer but engage the viewer and that might have a stronger impact. As well as the second video shows not only an activity but a show that the younger audience can watch and learn. by having a relatable character and having him go through an experience the audience can relate more and therefore take action making it very effective.

6. 1. I believe the campaign was effective since it has a very interactive performance. The actions It brings a light and fun tone to a topic that people usually find it gross.
    2. I believe it is trying to show us that “someone trash can be someone else’s treasure (art).”
    3. We can use it as underwater grass in a campaign about devastation/ pollution.

7. 1. For the first video, I don’t think that it is very effective. I think that the inflatable monster was a good idea, but I feel like it may have been more effective with maybe an the kids being able to throw trash away and an actual person pop out and yell something at them, like facts about trash but in a way that’s simple to understand.
    The second video was also not as clear to me, but this was mainly because there wasn’t like a snippet of the video to show exactly what she meant. I think that the idea was an interesting one though.
    2. For the first video, the message would be something like having so much trash is a big problem. The second video’s message would be showing how someone with OCD may perceive the world.
    3. I think puppets are a good way to reach an audience of children, because it is simple and they would see it as a form of entertainment instead of something that is actually educational. For inflatable puppets, I think a cause or awareness that they would work well for would be maybe something like if you are trying to scare people into doing something because they would be unexpected.