Title IX Misconduct Research – Preston

As a university student, Title IX affects me in the following ways:

• It applies to all students; it recognized that not only females are victims of sex discrimination. This means anybody can be a victim and is afforded rights and remediation under Title IX.
  • My school must take a proactive stance to ensure students don’t experience sex discrimination. This likely means as a student I will hear and see more information about Title IX around campus.
  • If I become a victim of sex discrimination, I am not to be treated as an outcast or a lost cause. I should be encouraged to continue my education at that school knowing that any necessary steps will be taken to remedy any harm I may have endured.
  • Supposing I become a victim of sex discrimination, the school cannot take retaliatory actions. All complaints must be addressed and any threats must be dealt with in a reasonable way that I no longer feel threatened (including a “no-contact directive” to the accused offender).
  • I will have access to accommodations and shouldn’t be charged for them. An example might be counseling; I should be able to seek counseling and not be charged by the school.

Unique information point from research:

• 43% of college women and 28% of college men who date reported experiencing violent and abusive dating behaviors (includes physical, sexual, verbal, etc.)
  • 58% of college women and 45% of college men reported knowing a friend who has experienced these abusive behaviors.
  • 29% of college women and 17% of college men say they have been in an abusive dating relationship
  • 57% of college students who reported abuse said it occurred while in college.
  • Sharing a password with a dating partner increases the likelihood of digital dating abuse tenfold.
    • Digital dating abuse includes (checking phone/computer to see who you communicate with, using passwords without permission, deleting friends on social media, and altering online profiles without consent)

http://www.loveisrespect.org/pdf/College_Dating_And_Abuse_Final_Study.pdf