Sexual Misconduct Research

Sexual Misconduct Research

I found a couple statistics interesting when doing research on sexual misconduct on campus colleges.  Some of the statistics are:

• Less than 5% of completed or attempted rapes against college women were reported to law enforcement.  However, in 2/3rds of the incidents the victim did tell another person, usually a friend, not family or school officials.
  • It is estimated that for every 1,000 women attending a college or university, there are 35 incidents of rape each academic year.
  • Among college women, 9 in 10 victims of rape and sexual assault knew their offender.

Those are just some of the statistics that I found on http://www.nsvrc.org/saam/campus-resource-list. In those statistics it shows that sexual assault victims do not feel confident in reporting the assault to enforcement possibly because they may have known the person who committed the crime.  Or possibly they do not want to deal with aftermath of reporting the incident.  In one of the statistics that estimated 35 sexual assaults for every 1000 women attending a college or university every academic is shocking because as a student at Marymount University I am notified about any sexual assaults happening on campus until this year about assaults occurring this year and two years ago.  It may not be the school fault for not reporting but many assaults are not reported at all.

In another article it is stated that 80% of campus rapes are not reported compared to the 67% in the general population.  Students do not report sexual assaults because they still have to attend classes or stay on the same campus as their assailant. This causes students to not want to complicate their lives by adding on more pressure other than from classes, work, and activities. The victim maybe scared that will get their assailant removed from campus and the backlash from other students from resporting the sexual assault.

http://time.com/topic/campus-sexual-assault/

Title IX

How does Title IX effect you as a university student?

Title IX effects me as a student in a positive way because I know my peers and I are protected if a sexual assault were to happen.  I live on campus so it is reassuring that if I was assaulted the school will accommodate my needs without hesitation. The university will relocate me to another dormitory if I felt like it was needed.  I like that Title IX does not discriminate against your gender as well.  Sexual assault/misconduct can happen to anyone, not just females.