Title IX

How does title IX (sexual misconduct) relate to me as a university student?

I am a returning student after some time off to raise my children. Title IX protects me in that I could be a target to sexual misconduct in that I am a female parenting student. The article listed off many types of targets of sexual misconduct and pregnant or parenting students were including. I feel very comfortable at Marymount and I also feel comfortable correcting misconduct and speaking up for myself as well as others but I did not always feel that way. I have experienced sexual misconduct in my early adult years and it was difficult to come forward and stop the misconduct. I have learned to say something early in order to prevent continuation of sexual misconduct. Having Title IX provides me a higher comfort, as it is a system that will defend and encourage my position if experiencing sexual misconduct. I am thankful that this program exists and that we are spreading awareness of it.

http://knowyourix.org/title-ix/title-ix-the-basics/

The Wrong Standard by Jake New

In 2011 the department of education released its Dear Colleague letter, which required the standard of “preponderance of evidence” over “clear and convincing” evidence. Princenton was found to be in violation of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. They failed to respond immediately and fairly. Laura Dunn, executive director of SurvJustice, explained that an extensive majority of colleges now use preponderance of evidence (New, 2014). Dunn stated, “The government is finally standing up to the schools, and they’re saying that it doesn’t matter if you’re Harvard University or a small community college, preponderance of evidence is the standard.” The elite insitutions such as Yale University, Harvard, and Princeton continued using clear and convincing evidence as the standard. Until soon after the letter was released Yale changed its policies but Harvard and Princeton did not follow suit until the department launched investigations into both colleges (New, 2014).

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/11/06/princeton-title-ix-agreement-higher-standard-proof-sexual-assault-cases-last-legs