Due Sept 26th, 28th and Oct. 5th – Local adventure

By Monday September 26th. 
By Monday, as a comment to this assignment list, designate one group member to write
(a) who is in your group,
(b) what you are planning to do,
(c) where, and
(d) why (answer this question via the questions below):
1) Think about what you value about being outdoors: Is it for relaxation, adventure, a sense of peacefulness, a chance to challenge yourself, or maybe an adrenaline kick?
2) As a group, pick a value and select an adventure to do together that reflects that value. This should be a more challenging outing and something you are excited to try!
Maybe your groups rents bikes, or paddle boards, tries the zip-line, or goes for a longer hike. (We will also count rock-climbing even though the local gyms are indoors). If you are interested in water sports, this would be a great time to go while the weather is still warm and rentals are available.  Search the Internet for a wide verity of local adventures. Some examples:
On September 28th – during your Local adventure
Take landscape photos – hold your phone or camera horizontal
landscape-phone
  1. Selfie with at least one classmate
  2. Establishing view – so it is obvious where you are
  3. Abstraction – e.g. shadow or reflection etc.
  4. Closeup
  5. Unusual camera angle – from on the ground or top looking down etc.
  6. A creative shot – something humorous or artistic

Before class starts on October 5th

1. Add a comment to this assignment explaining what the value of this adventure was to you personally.
    1. Title your post: Your full name – Local adventure
  2. Post your favorite selfie from the adventure with at least one other student on a social media site of your choice with a storytelling reflective description
  3. Upload to the course website a screen capture of your social media posting
  4. Upload 6 photos to the course website:
    1 Selfie with at least one classmate
    2 Establishing view – so it is obvious where you are
    3 Abstraction – e.g. shadow or reflection etc.
    4 Closeup
    5 Unusual camera angle – from on the ground or top looking down etc.
    6 A creative shot – something humorous or artistic
  5. Add a storytelling reflective caption to each photo

14 Comments on “Due Sept 26th, 28th and Oct. 5th – Local adventure

1. Group memebers- Alanoud, Yagmur, Lucy, Valeria
    Location: National Mall-paddle boating on Potomac river
    Why: We fell in love with the National Mall and decided it was a great idea to exercise while enjoying the view.- and it’s cheap

• Addition to our previous comment:
      What we value: We value the various health benefits that come from spending time in the outdoors, which is why we are planning on spending time exercising while paddle boating on the Potomac. We hope in return we’ll be receiving a good dose of vitamin D, mental relaxation, good cardio, and a better understanding and respect for the outdoors.

• my own personal value: I think it was mostly how we were able to work as a team to both get to the location and while actually doing the activity. We were also able to have some pretty nice quality “get to know each other” time which was really nice. So over all- teamwork and making new friends.

• Great, Kyle. Can you also make sure you answer what you all VALUE about being outdoors? Per the prompt above: “Is it for relaxation, adventure, a sense of peacefulness, a chance to challenge yourself, or maybe an adrenaline kick? As a group, pick a value and select an adventure to do together that reflects that value. This should be a more challenging outing and something you are excited to try!”

Thanks! Dr. McFarlane

2. 1. Me, Hayley, Grace, Hannah, Melissa, Talia, Kalie
    2. Visit Arlington National Cemetery.
    3. None of us have ever visited the cemetery and we want to walk through it because we have been told it is so beautiful (a sense of peacefulness).

3. Arlington Cemetery- This adventure was valuable to me personally because it made me realize the effects that war has on our country and really put into perspective how many people have fought for America and lost their lives because of it. It was also a valuable time to get closer with some of my classmates.

4. Kalie Standish-Local Adventure
    The value of this adventure in my opinion is about the respect I have for all those who fought to keep this country intact. This experience also allowed me to honor my two grandfathers who had fought in WW2, while I was watching the guard march at the tomb of the unknown soldier.

5. Visiting the Arlington National Cemetery educated me on the war and made me value all the lives lost fighting for us, it put the amount of people that died in perspective. I had no idea it was such a large amount.

6. I visited the Arlington Cemetery for the first time this past week. I felt almost obligated to visit the cemetery, to go and pay my respects to those who have fought hard and have lost their lives, just so I can walk around the streets without a worry about my safety.

7. Personally I valued this little hike simply because I was able to spend time with new people doing something out of the ordinary. Even though it was raining we still chose to hike. Although I’m sure a few in the group would rather have done something with more cover or indoors, we made a decision as a group and stuck to it. Plus, I will go out on a limb and say we all had fun even with the rain.

8. My personal value: I think it is all about gathering and having fun at the same time. I really like how we are able to meet together outside of the university because this way I can make friends in an easy way.

9. To me the value of this adventure was I had a chance to do something I didn’t do before and do it with my new friends. We had so much fun on the river and it was a great experience I will always remember.