Blog Post #6

Going out into the assigned area with eyes wide open was actually very special to me. Living in Groningen since four years now, I would say that I do know the city quit well. ┬áSince Groningen is THE student city in whole Europe and I am following an international study program I am constantly exposed by globalization. At least I thought so…. Also, “globalization” is a term that is used very often by different types of sources in my day to day bubble. But by going out there and actively identifying signs of globalization gave me a new view on an area I frequently go through. First, we recognized the obvious which are the restaurants that offer international cuisine, signs written in english but also shops that offer international clothes or enable you to participate in the global world. Actually, we take these establishments as granted and thus don’t even perceive them as massive players in our globalized world we live in. By really looking around with every step you take you then see the more hidden signs of globalization and also places that connect to others. We have identified containers which are rebuild to accommodations. These containers have probably been all over the world but you only see that when really considering the global role of the objects within your environment. Secondly, Groningen is streaked by channels on which people live in houseboats. These houseboats also are part of the day to day picture. After doing a little research, Jody and I found out that Groningen once was connected to the North Sea and that these boats also went to different parts of the world trading goods. Lastly, we identified the knowledge that is shared all over the world. In our assigned area, there was the planetarium. I have never thought of the impact of knowledge sharing in our globalized world. Ideally, we have access to all knowledge sources world wide. And the planetarium shares the same knowledge about stars as the one in Arlington does.

Globalization is already so deep connected within us. Personally, I was a bit shocked about how little we recognize the signs and elements that are connected to it. You want to have Sushi one night and Pizza the other? You really want to purchase the American brand or watch a movie in original language? No problem. These are all things we totally take as granted and that determine our day to day life. But then also identifying the hidden signs as the objects and elements that are available in every city are not very easy for us to connect with globalization on the first shot. We really have to get more cautious about the global role the various elements play that cross us every single day. Since globalization is an ongoing process that only will come to an end if the world will come to an end we really have to take it into every choice we make. Only by identifying them and really think about their impact it has on us we can look ahead and predict what can come next. This is why every photo out team but also the other teams took impressed me and encouraged me to think more about globalization not only in the Groningen and Arlington nutshell but world wide. Of course, the look and feel of the place both of Groningen and Arlington is different. But the impact of globalization which is fast paced and ongoing are present in both neighborhoods.

After walking through the neighborhood, I even fell more connected to Groningen but on the same time I don’t. Since identifying how present globalization really is in our daily lives I feel like a part of it. Globalization makes it easy and convenient for me to dive into a place but the same time it makes it easy for me to leave this place. Every place in the world got to a melting pot of global influences and therefore isn’t only Dutch or American. Every place is mashed up of different influences and thus the world got into a home for everyone.