Blog Post #7

Grace Allen
12/4/2018
Global Village
Blog Post #7

My journey of understanding globalization has been somewhat of an uphill battle I think truthfully before this class I had not thought about the concept of globalization much. My initial instinct was to find a definition and keep that definition, like if it fits in the box keep it there. The first timeline that we did, was difficult for me owing to the fact that we had to make our own definition, but I think working with the Hanz students was probably the best introduction into globalization that I could ask for. As we continued to work on the first timeline, I realized that I was experiencing a form of globalization first-hand and that was a gamechanger for me. Once I realized that globalization was a developing concept and so the definition or definitions would and could change depending on how you thought about it. Overall, I really enjoyed this first project and it was interesting to experience this intercultural dynamic within our team. Being in an intercultural team was probably the most interesting experience of this class. There is so much to juggle of the same time, your opinions, theirs, expectations, experiences, exposure, language, time, age, beliefs, and most importantly what they thought about globalization. It was one interesting roller coaster. One important activity that we did was the team contracts, these contracts were incredibly important for the rest of the time we spent together. Starting with this activity helped us get to know each other and try to understand each other’s perspectives and expectations. I think that if I was to re-due that activity again, I would be clearer about what I thought was important.

I think intercultural communication was a huge part of this class, but oddly enough we often forgot about it. I think that goes to show how much we assume that the other person is on the same page as us. I think the second project the Photo Essay was the hardest project to do because we were not communicating as much as we should have. I think we divided too much and each of us did our own thing and we are all so busy that many time members would miss the meetings. Despite this I had the most fun talking about other topics with my team members, I think that we were able to build relationships that did not begin and end with globalization. One of my favorite parts of the Photo Essay was seeing the picture of the Netherlands Folkingestraat, it was very different from looking up a picture online there was something more personal about seeing the pictures that your team member took. I think globalization and intercultural communication go hand in hand I do not believe that You can have one without the other. Communication is such an important aspect of globalization and internationally even more so. The exchanging of ideas about globalization with people from another country or countries is like putting on someone else’s rose-colored glasses. You see how they view globalization and everything that it encompasses, international trade, culture, environment, technology, politics, money exchange, immigration, education, and whether globalization has a negative, positive, or both effect of the world.

I think the most eye-opening experience was when reading van Aseren’s The Intercultural Paradox I had never thought about a culture that way it was such as interesting thought process and mentality, there were so many different stories and case studies that really illustrated intercultural communication and globalization. This article completely changed the way I viewed the Photo Essay. I not going to spend to much time about this article many because I don’t think I can do it justice and it was take me forever. But I will say if you did not read it, stop reading my blog and read it,  (http://www.diavers.nl/publicaties/diavers_intercultural_paradox_2007.pdf)
Your welcome.

My advice to other students taking this course: first do the reading…seriously. Second, communication is key, always double check that everyone is on the same page. Third, there is no one way to think about globalization, and always ask questions. Fourth, and most important, give people time things (team dynamic) will shake out in the end.