Blog Post #6

Team Anime found several pieces of evidence of migration within both the Arlington and Groningen communities. Each group had a photo of a restaurant, one building that serves three different restaurants including: Panda Bowl, Mexican Bar and Grill, and City Kabob and Curry House in Arlington. The other photo from Groningen was the “Amazing Oriental” supermarket, located in a neighborhood in which it is more heavily populated with Chinese residents. All restaurant owners are apart of the culture of their businesses, as well as respectively have migrated from their original country to America. This sets them apart from other commercial businesses such as Taco Bell and PF Chang, because those places to eat are a wide-chain of restaurants that have workers from all different backgrounds. Whereas the stores observed in our photos, have owners that come from the original hometown of the restaurant’s ethnicity. This observation can translate into the process of globalization, which in this case, was easy to identify. Why it was easy to identify? Because we saw direct visual advertisement and researched the history behind the stores, which illuminated the cultural and immigration references of globalization. That is why the photo impressed me the most. The fascinating layout in the photo of a single building containing three different cultures: Mexican, Chinese, and Indian, is an example of global connections created in the Arlington community. For me, the restaurant also had an interesting marketing side to it because I love all 3 of the diverse foods; therefore, I would be persuaded to come back to the restaurant again, each time for a different taste of cultural food. When looking back at the team trip with Arlington group members, I actually felt more connected to the local community of Groningen than I did Arlington. For me, I enjoy the city but I personally felt out of place in Arlington because there was so much diversity to take in. I felt that I was exploring a new side to Arlington, and didn’t realize how major the impact of globalization was present in Columbia Pike. The reason I felt more connected to Groningen was it has a typical layout I was used to experiencing and had more advertisements I was familiar with, such as Dominos and an Italian store. I feel globalization has opened my perspective more; however, it it a lot to take in with culture shifts and I feel that is a possible negative effect of globalization. That it is present in communities, but not always accepted.

The Arlington members of Team Anime each contributed one or more photos when going out into the community. Whether it was “hey, take this pic!” or “that’s a good one of globalization,” conversations sparked between group members and I believe at one one point even all our heads were slightly tilted to understand a poster outside of a store. However, with each perspective we were able to investigate the object and either all mutually agree, or disagree whether the photo truly presented globalization in the community. Since we had so many choices to choose from, it was not taken personal nor any disagreement occured if a group member stated, “hey, I don’t think that’s is a strong example because…” It was important that our teammates explained why they felt different to converse in conversation and help each other Bettie understanding our definition of globalization from our timeline project. While finalizing our final project, I felt that Team Anime were able to thoughtfully comment on each other’s photos from Groningen and Arlington. All team members looked over the photos taken from different communities, and had input in deciding which top 10 photos to discuss. When analyzing the photos, we made sure the photo symbolized our interpretation of globalization, as well as how it connected to other communities around the world. In fact, originally both groups had a photo of a metro bus sign, and we connected it to environmental globalization because both busses ran on natural gas. However, after sharing our photos to the class, we all decided that it wasn’t our strongest photo and globalization itself wasn’t evident in the photo. Therefore, Team Anime collaborated once more and were able to find photos to replace the metro bus signs, and serve as a stronger source of evidence of globalization.