blog #6

The process of doing our photo journal essay took some times, but, through all of our combined efforts, I believe we were able to find some really incredible photos that effectively display globalization here in Arlington and across the pond in Groningen!

The most evidence that we had that there was migration into our Arlington/Columbia Pike community was the amount of advertising, promotional material, and public works signs that were sprinkled around the mile that we walked around.  It was also evident because of the diversity of people that I saw around the community!  It was incredible to see the different people and business around the area.  Our observations of the community show that globalization is a gradual but physically evident process in many places.  For our group, it was easy to see the five aspects of globalization because it was all around us.  There were ethnic restaurants run by people who were from where their food was from.  I think that is what is so special about the Columbia Pike, because it truly is such a diverse-melting-pot style community with so many different people.  As for the photos themselves, I am quite proud of how they turned out!  They are all very good quality (I took them with my camera, slightly edited them, and then uploaded them for my group!), and I like the way that other parts of the photos can show globalization in the communities.  For example, the Washington Hispanic photo seemed to have more muted color tones, but I liked how the colors of the newspaper box were those of the American flag– red, white, and blue.  The community itself is such a wonderful place, but I genuinely feel more connected to the “global village,” mainly because I am not natively from here– my home is in Montgomery, Alabama, around 14 hours driving from Arlington!  While I do like the community here, I think it is more important to maintain a global perspective in order to help others and be aware of global issues.

All of my group members brought their own specific flare to the project.  Our Groningen counterparts were incredible– they managed to do some much work between the two of them, which helped us so much.  They had awesome pictures of their community, offered great insight for our photos, and helped write great captions!  My Arlington teammates were awesome as well– they kept me in the loop when I was unable to attend meetings because of my sickness, and were extremely attentive to me when we went to go and take pictures (a bit late).  Overall, we talked about how cool and different the community was when we went, and we were really surprised by the different restaurants that were around!

I am so glad that we all got to participate in this project together. All the different experiences that came together to create our amazing project. Our Groningen counterparts told us about the story about how they found a pizza restaurant, which first was interesting because it was also technically an ethnic restaurant in the Netherlands as well, but they told us it was even more interesting because it was Halal as well!
Having more people in this project that have alternative perspectives lets us become more culturally aware on what happens in the world around us. The diversity really helped the group dynamic!

2 Comments on “blog #6

1. I am so glad that we all got to participate in this project together. All the different experiences that came together to create our amazing project. Our Groningen counterparts told us about the story about how they found a pizza restaurant, which first was interesting because it was also technically an ethnic restaurant in the Netherlands as well, but they told us it was even more interesting because it was Halal as well!

2. (Revision)