Blog Post #6

In many of the pictures that we took, we found evidence of migration, for example, the Jewish Synagog located in Folkingestraat. Folkingestraat was home to a large Jewish community that flourished there until WWII. Another example of migration in Folkingestraat is the African restaurant that is located on the street. More evidence of migration can be found in Clarendon, Arlington which is home to a wide variation of international restaurants like Rien Tong Asian restaurant that sells a range of Asian foods. Another international restaurant is Le Pain Quotidian which is a Belgian bakery and restaurant. These are just a few examples of evidence of globalization in both Groningen and Arlington. I think between our two locations we found evidence from all over, and from every continent. I think that the international restaurants really illustrate a process of globalization that shows that people are bringing a part of their own experience from the countries to another through things like food. But more importantly, it shows how globalization makes the world smaller because people can experience an element of another country through the cuisine. I was impressed by the African restaurant because I think the shot of the photo captured a lot of elements of the restaurant, for example, the carpet that you can see behind the outdoor chairs and the long candles that you can see within the restaurant. Another picture that I was impressed by was the FC soccer banner because it was so random when we found it. I definitely feel more connected to Arlington, especially Clarendon. I also really want to visit Folkingestraat, I think to see all the pictures really made me want to come. I thought many of the restaurants that I saw were beautiful and unique. I also really enjoyed working and skyping with my Team Game of Phones. We had some funny and interesting conversations about the pictures, globalization in general, and many other topics. I also found it interesting that when we discussed different ideas about globalization, I always look for the correct answer, but sometimes there is not just one correct answer. I think that I have a tendency to think that in order to be correct on an assignment everyone in the group has to think the same thing or end product. But during one skype meeting, the members from Groningen had a very different perspective that globalization is different per individual and that does not necessarily make one person wrong or right.  I think that as we continued to meet and discuss the pictures we understood the point of the assignment and we had to re-adjust are pictures. Another observation that we had when taking pictures was trying to cover all the five dimensions of globalization, it was harder to find things like political, and environmental. That was a challenge, but in the end, we were able to cover most of the dimensions.

One Comment on “Blog Post #6

1. I do think the everyone brought their own perspective about globalization and how it affects us all. I found that we all looked for evidence of globalization in relation to what we think is important. For example, some members find the environmental dimension very important so they are drawn to find evidence of that. Other members are drawn to the cultural dimension of globalization and how many different cultured restaurants there are in Clarendon. Still, other members were interested in a more economic perspective. I think everyone’s own personal experiences really came out in this project. Although this project was challenging I found it the most interesting in getting to know my other members and asking more questions about globalization.