blog #4

I apologize for this getting up late, but here I am now!

In doing this project, I have realized that we had a touch of adverse circumstances when meeting out of class.  This is not because of any one person, but because of our busy schedules that we have to work around!  Our timezones are actually not our biggest problem, as Google Docs makes everything extremely easy.  It truly is coordinating all of our schedules together, particularly here in America.  Also, when we were doing our timeline, the points that we chose to include were really different.  While we prioritized more political points, the students in the Netherlands tried to focus more on cultural ones!

My group found more political aspects inside of our timeline– for some reason, we prioritized the more political aspects, like major wars and colonization, while our Netherland counterparts focused considerably more on culture. Because of this contrast, I believe that we created a timeline that honored many different aspects of globalization. Eventually we all had to decide to create a balance between these two parts, as well as the other three sects of globalization. There was a mutual understanding that all both politics and culture are intertwined, they move cyclically, one forms the other, and so on. Thus, it was understood that all of our points were leading towards the same places in history, we just highlighted different areas over others!

If I was to repeat this assignment, I would have tried to help more with the editing process of the video, because I genuinely felt bad for the group member that decided to edit the videos all on her own.  I did really like the format of the video though, so I would like to do a project in this format again.

I really do like my group though.  I think we all bring something different and useful to the table, but next time I think we should try to communicate more about our schedules and about the amount of work that we are loading on each other.  I’m excited to work with them again on future projects!

3 Comments on “blog #4

1. Macy – you tell us just enough to make us curious, and not enough to see how you are making connections between the course materials and activities! As an example, when you say “… when we were doing our timeline, the points that we chose to include were really different. While we prioritized more political points, the students in the Netherlands tried to focus more on cultural ones!” can you give the actual events? How did your group decide which to include in the end?

• (Revision) Yes, of course I can elaborate! My group found more political aspects inside of our timeline– for some reason, we prioritized the more political aspects, like major wars and colonization, while our Netherland counterparts focused considerably more on culture. Because of this contrast, I believe that we created a timeline that honored many different aspects of globalization. Eventually we all had to decide to create a balance between these two parts, as well as the other three sects of globalization. There was a mutual understanding that all both politics and culture are intertwined, they move cyclically, one forms the other, and so on. Thus, it was understood that all of our points were leading towards the same places in history, we just highlighted different areas over others!

2. (Revision)