Post #4

From completing the globalization timeline, I got a deeper understanding of what it means to work with a cross cultural group. It was difficult to coordinate a google hangout over two different timezones, so the majority of our communication was done over WhatsApp, but it was difficult to delegate work over text messaging. If I were to do this project again, I would make more of an effort to reach out through a video chat in order to coordinate better, because I don’t think that texting is the most effective way to communicate on a group project such as this.

It was interesting to hear other perspectives on globalization. On an individual level, we all had slightly different ideas of what should be considered globalization, and I believe that this was mostly a result of our own personal interests, in addition to the courses that we have taken before. For example, I am interested in politics, and I chose to take a deeper look into international interactions over time. I have also had the opportunity to take a few world history and politics classes, and so I had some background knowledge on this topic to begin with. I also believe that our geographical locations have an impact on our ideas about globalization. Here in Arlington, we are very close to Washington DC, our nation’s political capital. Therefore, we tend to be more focused on political events. However, at the beginning of the semester, we did an exercise in which everybody wrote down what they believed the greatest issue and the greatest positive thing happening in the world right now. The US half of the class focused on politics as one of the most pressing issues facing the world, but many in the Netherlands believed that climate change was the most important problem. I believe that this is because of our different geographical locations.

Overall, I value the opportunity I had during this project to gather information about globalization, which plays a major role in all aspects of modern life, from people of other backgrounds and perspectives. At the beginning of the course, I would have thought that globalization would have mainly impacted politics. As a result of this timeline, I have discovered that it affects much more, such as society, economics, environment, and technology. Going forward in this class and beyond, I believe that a widened idea of globalization will help me to thoughtfully consider the world from more than one viewpoint.

2 Comments on “Post #4

1. I agree with you when you observe that place matters “…our geographical locations have an impact on our ideas about globalization. Here in Arlington, we are very close to Washington DC, our nation’s political capital. Therefore, we tend to be more focused on political events.” Because many of students in our class come from locations north of the equator, we tend to share some assumptions about globalization that might not be shared by those who live south of the equator! But the trouble with assumptions, is it’s hard to uncover them. What might globalization look like if you were living in Ecuador, for example?

You are on target about the importance of face-to-face meetings. To your group’s credit, you’ve made time to be together. That will pay off moving forward.

• In other parts of the world, specifically those south of the equator, I imagine that globalization does look very different. Other places have suffered from colonialization, and still struggle to find their identity and build their local economy due to the overwhelming presence of today’s globalization superpower countries, such as the United States.