Blog Post #4

“Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.” -George S. Patton

Team Anime’s first intercultural team project was our first challenge; however, I believe we easily overcame the obstacles and presented a lovely globalization timeline. I take away from this project the importance of time management, asking intuitive questions, and accepting new roles. Again, all groups face the issue of interactions because we are in different time zones and have different schedules. This is completely understandable. It was challenging though, when teammates were not responding to our WhatsApp chat in a timely manner. For example, I had access to a video app, so I was taking on the role of designing the visual presentation of our timeline. We all agreed to send our voice memos and pictures by that Sunday; however, individuals didn’t communicate well and I didn’t receive many of them until Monday. Again, I’m very understanding and quick to putting myself in other’ shoes, but it is a bit frustrating when you don’t receive any reply. The issue was addressed and everyone understood that we should at least “favorite” the message so people saw it, and to check the WhatsApp more frequent.

Another challenge with miscommunication was understanding the assignment fully. When orginally creating the timeline we were confused on how to select events: specifically as a global events or specific to just Groningen and Arlington? Each group member found 4-6 events each, which I was a great idea because we had diverse events and “I didn’t think of that moments” of globalization. Again, it gives a great new perspective and researching more about those events was fun too. I do believe that if we were to complete this assignment again, we should find a more organized way to write down the events. The google docs is convenient because everyone has access to it, but it was sloppy and when citing sources it wasn’t in order of events either. Communicating a better way will benefit us in future projects. All in all, I feel victorious with our first project together. Team Anime has lots of potential and I can’t wait for the Photo Essay:)

3 Comments on “Blog Post #4

1. Carol – you do a great job of describing specific examples. I wonder if some miscommunication may have resulted from differing assumptions about what is meant by “timely” — in your team contract, did you identify a specific amount of time for responding? At the beginning of the course we talked about your team will need to have several communication channels – each for a different purpose. It sounds like you’ve discovered the limitations of What’s App — or what we’ve referred to a the What’s App trap!

• Janine,

I feel Team Anime had miscommunications and needed to go back and reflect on our team contract. Accountability is a huge core value of our team, so I feel at this point on the semester we should feel comfortable and knowledgeable with the rules we set as our standard. In regards to communication channels, we use Google docs frequently. It’s harder to meet up in person, so we all set a time period where we get onto google docs and work on the assignment. There were positive changes in communication from the timeline project to the photo essay, which I felt made this process a bit smoother.

2. “Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.” -George S. Patton
    Team Anime’s first intercultural team project was our first challenge; however, I believe we easily overcame the obstacles and presented a lovely globalization timeline. I take away from this project the importance of time management, asking intuitive questions, and accepting new roles. Again, all groups face the issue of interactions because we are in different time zones and have different schedules. This is completely understandable. It was challenging though, when teammates were not responding to our WhatsApp chat in a timely manner. For example, I had access to a video app, so I was taking on the role of designing the visual presentation of our timeline. We all agreed to send our voice memos and pictures by that Sunday; however, individuals didn’t communicate well and I didn’t receive many of them until Monday. Again, I’m very understanding and quick to putting myself in other’ shoes, but it is a bit frustrating when you don’t receive any reply. The issue was addressed and everyone understood that we should at least “favorite” the message so people saw it, and to check the WhatsApp more frequent. Also, we had to enforce Team Anime’s contract and the importance of personally communicating with teammates and equally participating in projects, in order to abide by our own words.
    Another challenge with miscommunication was understanding the assignment fully. When originally creating the timeline we were confused on how to select events: specifically as a global events or specific to just Groningen and Arlington? Each group member found 4-6 events each, which I was a great idea because we had diverse events and “I didn’t think of that moments” of globalization. Again, it gives a great new perspective and researching more about those events was fun too. I do believe that if we were to complete this assignment again, we should find a more organized way to write down the events. The google docs is convenient because everyone has access to it, but it was sloppy and when citing sources it wasn’t in order of events either.
    Communicating a better way will benefit us in future projects. Team Anime had miscommunications on scheduling and meeting deadlines, and as a group we needed to go back and reflect on our team contract. Accountability is a huge core value of our team, so I feel at this point on the semester we should feel comfortable and knowledgeable with the rules we set as our standard. In regards to communication channels, we use Google docs frequently. It’s harder to meet up in person, so we all set a time period where we get onto google docs and work on the assignment. Another important thing to consider is if one or two teammates can’t meet, it shouldn’t stop other groups members from meeting up and discussing the project, because continuing to develop ideas is important to building more understanding of the concept of globalization. Then, when all members meet up for the next face-to-face contact, new ideas can be proposed and continue to provoke conversation. All in all, I feel victorious with our first project together. Team Anime has lots of potential and I can’t wait for the Photo Essay:)