3. Michelle’s Globalisation Timeline

Hello Global Villagers!

We meet yet again for another blog. Globalisation is a notion which I still struggle to fully wrap my head around. How can such a complex collection of concepts be summed up by a single word, which surprisingly conveys it’s meaning whenever mentioned. It puzzled me quite a lot but the more I thought about it and investigated all aspects of globalisation, the more I realised that perhaps it isn’t as intricate and profound is I had initially interpreted it. Globalisation, to me at least, is everywhere in our day to day life. In the way we travel, what we eat, how we communicate, the way we learn: It is unavoidable and it is in every aspect of our life. So after I came to the shocking realisation that we are all breathing and living globalisation in our day to day life, the concept stopped seeming so distant and it became easier to track down its origins from this more personal view.

So, when in the history of the world can I pinpoint the grand genesis of globalisation? Well, seeing how globalisation isn’t any more this abstract theory but rather it translates into a concrete influence in life, I came to the conclusion that it might have always been there. From the ancient times when trade began in 3000BC, gaps between communities shrunk and bridges to connect were built. The shortest routes were being discovered, new roads were being built and new means of transport were being developed just in an effort to better connect for the purpose of exchanging goods, culture and share discoveries.

Good! Now that my personal start to globalisation was roughly sketched out, where does my timeline with the rest of the team begin? This was even harder as my idea was to incorporate everyone’s culture while staying true to my newly revealed understanding of globalisation. It was important to consider everyone’s social location which just for myself would be a mission to figure out. While I was initially still very adamant I wanted to incorporate more global dates into the timeline, I realised it would be much more efficient to stick to where we currently, geographically are in this world. I, along with my Hanze teammate, am in The Netherlands while my Marymount team is in the USA. Regardless of living in The Netherlands for over 2 years now and still not knowing much about Dutch history (aside of the super important King’s Day date: 27th April), this domestic approach proved to be much more effective and I received a lot of information on Arlington from the Marymount girls. Understanding my teammates’ social location was hard, but not impossible. Though not fully applicable to the timeline, it got me reflecting on how it can loosely explain one’s behaviour and work ethic. I also got me to confront myself. Understanding my social location and where I can from generally reflect in more on my habits and personality traits.

The peer review could be extremely helpful to see any dates I might have missed out on and listening to different interpretations of globalisation but also to hear what they thought for our localised take for the globalisation timeline. I generally believe that the most important question to ask when dealing with globalisation is one that I found myself asking a lot: Why? Why is this important? Why is this globalisation?  Why is this date relevant? Why does this event affect our culture to this day? Why is such a powerful tool to dig deeper and deeper into this complex theory and I wish it was the question I asked myself first before all the how‘s I asked.

See you on the next blog! ^-^