BLOG: THE MEANING OF GLOBALIZATION

After reading the article ‘The Globalization Timeline’ I wanted to create a definition of globalization that would fit my perspective on this subject. Besides that, I asked myself two different kinds of questions. What is the starting point of globalization and what are the main events for globalization? When I was thinking about the starting point of globalization I started to wonder if globalization has always been there. What if globalization has always been a process of interaction between countries, companies and governments, but only the scale has changed. First people crossed a city, nowadays they are crossing oceans or even planets. Another change that has taken place in the past years is our motivation to go overseas. Maybe globalization started because of the curiosity of explores and nowadays globalization is driven by progress.

The way of approach towards globalization can also effect the timeline on a big scale. For example, in 1969 Armstrong landed on the moon. You could say that this was the first big achievement in space, but you could also say that this is the first global media event. After all, everyone was looking at the same achievement all over the world through media connections.

Soon I realized globalization is a process of interaction across the world through multiple parties. It’s an exchange of knowledge around the world for a bigger cause. As a team, we discussed this part for a while. It’s a fact that globalization is an exchange of knowledge, but when I read the article i noticed that most big globalizations pin points happened in war. The first thing that came to my mind was if globalization happened in war it couldn’t been beneficial for both parties. But i think, for longer terms, the inventions made in war are beneficial for the whole world. The invention may start as a way to be ahead of the enemy but this same invention can nowadays be used in daily live. For example, the military was the first one who used the internet as a way of communication.  So, you need to look at the purpose of use. Do we use it for good or bad?

The last issue that I found really interesting is the one about how your place in the world influence your understanding of globalization. The look of your globalization timeline is influenced by the way you look at history. Loes told us about the example of history books and the way we think our history is real. History books are made by the government and are mainly interpreted for the good of own country. So, some big history points are left out and others are wrong written. This way you can create a different way of looking at the world or at globalization. Western people have for example a different view then others.

2 Comments on “BLOG: THE MEANING OF GLOBALIZATION

1. You make a very interesting observation when you say “…if globalization happened in war it couldn’t been beneficial for both parties.” Is it just because of the relationship with war or is there something about the process of globalization that benefits some countries more than others?

• I think that globalization benefits some countries more than others. Most of the time it’s an exchange of knowledge. If the country receives this new knowledge, it’s their own responsibility to use it properly. Maybe some countries aren’t cable of using the exchange the right way?