Post #3

Everyone’s perspective about the world is influenced by where they are from and what experiences they have been exposed to, and I believe that this holds true for our perspectives on globalization as well.  The events that we select as most important are influenced by our own definitions of globalization.  What might fit for one group might not be a part of another group’s definition, and all this comes back to our own perspectives, which is why we need to listen to everyone.  Because we have such a unique class, we have the opportunity to learn about the issues that have impacted all of us through globalization from a multitude of viewpoints.  I think that we can learn from this experience by listening to the different ways that others view the same topics.

When building this timeline, I think it’s helpful to choose events that connect with my groups definition of globalization.  In my team, we all process globalization by focusing on different topics.  For example, I am very interested in politics, so I have gravitated towards events that have shaped the world’s political landscape.  That being said, we all understand that globalization encompasses so much, such as society, culture, economics, and technology as well.

Based on social landscape, we are coming from different parts of the world and have been taught about globalization in different ways.  This makes it interesting to compare perspectives.  This is also why peer review is so important.  Listening to the ideas of others helps me to look at globalization from more than one view, which is important because globalization is a complex topic that has impacted people differently around the world.  We should be asking whether or not we should continue the trend towards globalization, and if so, to what extent?  Should everyone be included in globalization? In what ways will globalization affect the future of the world?

2 Comments on “Post #3

1. Hello Carly,
    Yes, these are important questions to ask ourselves! And yes, the definition of globalization also plays a big role. Words do matter :-). You mention that we can learn from each others perspectives in this class. This is true: if they differ, but also when they overlap. Are there some ideas that overlap and would that be the case for the rest of the world as well?
    And can you name some examples?
    Loes

• Yes! There are many overlaps, and I believe that our similar definitions of globalization are actually a result of globalization! For example, I think that a universal idea about globalization is that it has facilitated the spread of technology, such as televisions and cell phones, which we use to become more connected with others.