first impressions!

Hello again!

Upon trying to connect with our teammates across the pond, we hit a lot of roadblocks before we were able to connect with one another!  But it was rewarding and exciting nonetheless to be able to interact with people from different cultures.  Technology is an amazing thing (when it works well!).

While this is the first time I am interacting with students from a different place on a personal level, I have had classes before where our instructors and international teachers would allow us to ask each other questions about our lives for a period or two, but never to discuss actual issues that affect all of us, despite where we are on the globe.  As for just “people” who are international that I have communicated/worked with, both of my grandmothers are immigrants from Europe (one from Portugal and one from Germany), so I have had interactions with both of my grandmothers in that they may not necessarily know certain cultural things about the US; other than my family, though, that is it!

It is incredibly interesting to be able to talk to other students who do not live in America; it is already evident that they have different schedules and times to meet (as not only is this their “elective” course, so to speak) but that we have a time difference that inhibits us from doing work together all the time.  While this presents a challenge, I have no doubt that we will be able to overcome this and get to know each other better over the semester!  I am keeping my hopes very high!

Other than that, I just hope I am able to figure out how to do WordPress better before we really start talking about the subjects at hand.  See you all in class soon!

2 Comments on “first impressions!

1. (Revision) In reality, though, we are quite similar– we are all just college students with many intense classes that want to excel as much as we can.  The only other dissimilarity is that we do not have the same grade systems, so the way that we are being evaluated is different.  I have a great respect for anyone that is willing to add a pile-on class on top of their already busy schedule.
    Unfortunately, I have never actually worked with people from another country in a classroom setting. I had friends in high school who were international, so I suppose I could say them, but from a working with people across the world standpoint, I have not.
    I’m very glad I am able to have this opportunity to work with other people; I want to learn more about what higher education is like in other countries, as it has been lauded as the most advanced and effective education system in the world.

2. (Revision)

Hello again!

While this is the first time I am interacting with students from a different place on a personal level, I have had classes before where our instructors and international teachers would allow us to ask each other questions about our lives for a period or two, but never to discuss actual issues that affect all of us, despite where we are on the globe.  As for just “people” who are international that I have communicated/worked with, both of my grandmothers are immigrants from Europe (one from Portugal and one from Germany), so I have had interactions with both of my grandmothers in that they may not necessarily know certain cultural things about the US; other than my family, though, that is it!  In reality, though, we are quite similar– we are all just college students with many intense classes that want to excel as much as we can. The only other dissimilarity is that we do not have the same grade systems, so the way that we are being evaluated is different. I have a great respect for anyone that is willing to add a pile-on class on top of their already busy schedule.