Where is the Ark of the Covenant? (Bontu Workineh, March 23 – March 29th)

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oqb6ikF6Is

The Ark of the Covenant was an Ark that was used in the desert and in Israel proper for a number of spiritual and pragmatic purposes. Practically, God used the Ark as an indicator of when he wanted the nation to travel, and when to stop. When the Israelites went to war in the desert and during the conquering of Canaan, the Ark accompanied them; whether its presence was symbolic, to provide motivation for the Jews, or whether it actually aided them in fighting, is debated by commentators. When the Jews crossed into the land of Canaan, the waters of Jordan River split and the Ark led them to their destination (Josh 3). The Ark of the Covenant holds a special place in the beliefs of Christians as it contains the 10 commandments.
The Ark of the Covenant remained in the Temple until its destruction at the hand of the Babylonian empire, led by Nebuchadnezzar. What happened afterward is unknown, and has been debated and pondered for centuries. Many belief Solomon foresaw the eventual destruction of the temple, and set aside a cave near the Dead Sea, in which Josiah eventually hid the Ark.

One fascinating fact that is believed by many Christians is, the Ark is being held in Axum, Ethiopia. According to Axum Christian community, during the reign of Solomon, when his son Menelik, whose mother was the queen of Sheba, stole the Ark after a visit of Jerusalem. The claim has been impossible to verify, for no one but the monk is allowed into the tent.

Discussion question:
Do you believe the Ark is in Ethiopia? If not why?

Citations:
“Ethiopia: The First Christian Nation?”. International Business Times. N.p., 2017. Web. 17 Mar. 2017.
Hoffman, Richard. “Ark Of The Covenant — National Geographic”. National Geographic. N.p., 2017. Web. 17 Mar. 2017.

14 thoughts on “Where is the Ark of the Covenant? (Bontu Workineh, March 23 – March 29th)”

1. I don’t think that there is really any way of really knowing if the Ark is in Ethiopia. According to the video, the natives certainly believe that it is present in their town. If I was basing my judgment off of the video I would say yes it may be, but I don’t think there is enough evidence to really know.

2. I believe it is very possible for the Ark of Covenant to be in Ethiopia, from the information given. I just do not know for sure, since it is not allowed for anyone to go inside, there is no way of proving it. There have been stories told that who ever looks directly or touches the ark will die. There is also some belief that it may be due to the fact that the ark was made out of gold and was conducting electricity, and that is probably why people may have died. So there are many theories on the ark of covenant, none that can be proven. That may be one of the reasons no one has ever tried to break in and see the proof for themselves, or people also may just have great respect for the ark and want to leave it in peace. It will remain unknown, until someone has the audacity to find out for themselves.

3. I also agree that we can’t be certain if the Ark is in Ethiopia, unless we actually see and scientifically test it to authenticate it. While historians may want to verify it for historical standards, it doesn’t seem like the religious need sight to prove it’s existence. I think at this point, the Ark represents more of an idea/way of thinking rather than an actual object that needs to be worshiped; people come to the town in Ethiopia and celebrate/pray dawn to dusk in honor of the Ark. Just the word that the Ark there is enough for those faithful, they don’t really need that justification. For myself I believe that the only way to know for certain is through sight, but if only the monk can see the Ark, then we must be content by just the word alone.

4. In all honesty, this is the first time I’ve ever heard about the Ark of the Covenant. All this information is new to me. So I’m glad your post has informed me of this. But I will say, I cannot say I am 100% sure that the Ark is in Ethiopia, let alone in that chapel. Also, I even find it unfair, absurd and even sketchy that no one can go into the chapel that houses the Ark. If what’s in there is truly the Ark (it could even be something else of God’s nature) it should be open to the public. If not, for the people of Ethiopia at least.

1. Paula, I agree with you that it is a bit unfair to allow people to view the ark or go inside the house/chapel of the ark. But at the same time something so sacred should be sacred and left alone, so I understand that only one person is allowed to be in charge and go inside.

5. I don’t think the Ark is in Ethiopia or the Ark is real, because the person who keeps the Ark, he doesn’t bring out the Ark to the Public even on the day to celebrate the Ark and he should let people visit the Ark. On the other hand the existence of Ark is like a magic, and it’s from God to help people, since now days human beings are all sinful we don’t deserve the help from God, and I don’t think it exists.

6. I also have never heard of the Ark of the Covenant, this is the first time that I’ve heard about it. However, without any concrete evidence that states that it is actually in Ethiopia, it’s difficult to believe that it is actually present there. Without anybody actually being able to see and examine the Ark of the Covenant for themselves then it is hard to determine it’s authenticity as well. Despite the claims, there is no certain way of proving that the Ark is truly there without any evidence.

7. I agree that The Arc of the Covenant is in Ethiopia. Ethiopia isn’t just known for early civilization but also for playing a significant role in the formation of many religions in the world. The Arc of the covenant was taken to the northern part of Ethiopia called Axum 3000 years ago.If there is anyone that read the sign and the seal, you can at least have a reasonable speculation if not a conclusive proof that the Ark is in Ethiopia. One man has told me about the story how the Ark has come to Ethiopia by one of Solomon’s son of Jerusalem-born from an Ethiopian queen Sheba. You can also find a story that resembles the same in the Old Testament. But still according to my readings, both religious and secular…Ethiopia is the place by which the Ark has been kept.

8. I don’t think that there is enough proof, but I believe it could possibly be there. It would make sense since Ethiopia was a close area. I just don’t think that we will ever know, because Jesus’ life is so mysterious.

9. I think it could be there, but I believe that no one can be really sure. There is not enough evidence to know.

1. Why do you think something that is the closest thing to God would be destroyed? When no one could even get close to it, and there are guards, the keeper, and even the people who are alway around praying all the time.

10. I believe the Ark is in Ethiopia but at the same time not because there isn’t any solid evidence that the Ark is really in Ethiopia the video give some sense that it could be real, but it is kind of weird that no isn’t any description of what it is and that only the keeper is to guard. I’m wondering what would happen when the keeper past away? How are they to pick a new keeper?