Immigration: Then and Now (Paula Morales, March 16-22nd)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/08/31/heres-what-donald-trump-said-in-his-big-immigration-speech-annotated/?utm_term=.cae6d0c55871

The link above includes a video of the immigration speech President Trump gave in Phoenix, Arizona while campaigning back in August and there the transcript of what he said; it is also annotated.

Immigration has always been a hot topic for presidential candidates. In the most recent election, Hillary Clinton’s position was to have open borders, while Donald Trump wants to build a wall along the border with Mexico. For many immigrant families, the hope was on Clinton. Now that President Trump is in charge, many immigrant families are fearful. A wall would mean a less permeable yet larger separation for families who chose to cross over from where they travel from.

In his speech, Trump says: “Hillary Clinton, for instance, talks constantly about her fears that families will be separated,” and this is true. There is a real fear from both sides of immigration; there is a fear of the immigrant who had to travel for days, weeks or even months to maybe reach the border, and alive too. There is also the fear of immigrant families who are here illegally; they can be deported at any time and are forced to leave their children (if American born) behind.

Using the Bible as a reference, immigration has been going on since Adam and Eve were asked to leave the garden (Genesis 2: 23-24). Adam and Eve left and started anew. Just as many immigrant families do. Genesis chapter 12 is also a great example; respectively named ‘Abram’s Call and Migration’. Everyone is called to migrate. Whether it be to a school in a different state, be transferred to another city for a job or to escape violence in a home. Everyone has been a stranger somewhere in some point in their life.

In Leviticus 19: 33-34, it reads: “When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.” This can be summed up as the “Golden Rule: Treat others the way you would like to be treated.”

For those who are against illegal immigration, put yourself in their shoes…
Exodus 22: 20-23 says, “You shall not oppress or afflict a resident alien, for you were once aliens residing in the land of Egypt. You shall not wrong any widow or orphan. If ever you wrong them and they cry out to me, I will surely listen to their cry. My wrath will flare up, and I will kill you with the sword; then your own wives will be widows, and your children orphans.” My interpretation of this is to not discriminate against the immigrants of this country. Who are we to judge these people for making to come to the land of opportunity. God is the ultimate judge and He knows how to take care of his children.

Both verses of Leviticus and Exodus present the argument of: America is a country that was built from immigrants. The only “true” owners of the land of those Native Americans who cultivated in years ago.

In conclusion, I invite you all to read Matthew 25: 31-45. Probably the most important verse is 35 and it reads: “For I was hungry and you gave me food; I was thirsty and you gave me drink. I was a stranger and you welcomed me.” Jesus Christ, once on this Earth, was a stranger. To many, he was looked upon as a false prophet, who claimed to be the Messiah. While others followed him, listened to his teachings and witnessed his miracles on Earth. Think about this: Jesus—The Son of Man—was once a stranger just as we all once were at some point in our lives.

Discussion: What is your opinion on immigration? Through the eyes of God, is the way our government is dealing with immigration correct? Are the migration stories in the Bible relevant to what is happening now in modern times? Why or why not? Should or could politicians look at the Bible for enlightenment on how to go about fixing America’s immigration issue/policies? If so, how? If someone is a follower of Christ, yet is opposed to illegal immigration, are they hypocrites? Are they being bad Christians or should religion and politics not mix?

Work Cited:
Bump, Philip. “Here’s What Donald Trump Said in His Big Immigration Speech,
Annotated.” The Washington Post. WP Company, 31 Aug. 2016. Web. 10 Mar. 2017.

9 thoughts on “Immigration: Then and Now (Paula Morales, March 16-22nd)”

1. I believe immigration is what this country is built on and it shouldn’t be banned when the country is built on it. Through the eyes of God, this is the wrong thing and shameful thing to do. I feel like the current situation is very relatable to the stories in the Bible; like in the book of Genesis 7 and 8, it says Noah builds an Ark and takes refuge from a flood. Most of the Bible talks about refugee. I don’t necessarily think they don’t know what is in the Bible I just think they choose to ignore the Bible for political reasons.

2. As a girl who was born and raised in Brooklyn it never gave me any space to think of immigration as a bad thing. I love being first generation in the United States and I will never be ashamed of my roots. The government now deals with immigration in a wrong way in my opinion, the way they try to destroy innocent families and individuals is inhumane. I personal feel that politics and religion should not mix because not everyone follows the same religion or faith. Politics in general is a sensitive topic to talk about even among family members. At the end of the day we live in a society where we think we have rights but we are limited to them.

3. banning immigrants from getting into certain country is totally far from what God wants us to do. In front of God we all equal and same so it’s better to do what he wound want us to be which is being kind and welcoming like he is .

4. Personally, I think that if someone wants to come to the U.S then we should let them. It is mostly because they want a better life anyway. EVERYONE was an immigrant before, not to mention Trump’s wife. People instantly forget where they came from. My family would still be in Haiti or Africa if it wasn’t for the slave owners who took us. I think that we need to read the bible all over again.

5. I believe that the way that immigration is being dealt with now is wrong. This country was built on immigrants and many people in this country are immigrants who come from all over the world for a better life. There are families which are being separated and destroyed. I also think that religion and politics should not mix because there are many types of religion around the world, so not everyone is the same.

6. Immigration is not being dealt with correctly in today’s society. Why are we turning people away who are seeking a better life? It’s not fair/just of families being ripped apart due to the ignorance of others.

7. No our government is not dealing with it well. There are people suffering in the world and we have closed out gates. America has a 2 year process of letting immigrants into the USA to live, which is understandable because they want to be careful and safe but in two years those people could be in worse condition. For a christian nation, they are not acting very christian-like.

8. The government is dealing with the whole immigration the wrong way. The United States in known as the land of freedom and better opportunities, yet now families (illegal) are a worry when will they be deported and leaving their children (born citizens) behind because of their status. The stories in the Bible is related to the current news because in the Bible is about treat everyone the same like you treat yourself and make them feel welcome don’t push them away or you will get punishment for the wrong doing.