“Left Behind”: The Rapture (Laura Shores, Feb 23-March 1st Discussion)

My blog post is about the idea of the End Times/ the Rapture and how the “Left Behind” movie series views it.  “Left Behind” is a Christian based movie series that shows an idea of how the Bible portrays the End Times- what will happen during it and what will happen afterwards.

Here is a link to a short clip (6 minutes) from the first movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXRrVrkFYlo

The Rapture is known as the beginning of the End Times, where the true Christians, or the “saved” people, will ascend up to Heaven to be with Jesus.  After this happens, there will be a 7 year period, called the “Tribulation”, where the first half is peaceful and it gives the “un- saved” people who did not already ascend up to Heaven, time to accept Jesus so that they too can join Him.  After the peaceful first half, this is when the “Great Tribulation” occurs, where the Antichrist comes, and people have the option to follow him or follow Jesus.  This is the last chance for the “un-saved” people to turn to Jesus and become saved.  This will not be a time of peace but rather a time of war and death, it is the end of the world as we know it, before the new heaven and the new earth are made.

This picture is a screenshot from the clip of the movie showing the clothes of the people that had ascended up to Heaven being left behind.  This shows that at this point, material and worldly things do not matter; the only thing that matters is the soul of the Christians, and whether they have accepted Jesus to be their personal Savior.

For a class reading, we covered some verses that briefly mentioned the Rapture times. Two that are relevant for this topic are verses 30 and 31 in Matthew 24. It states, “30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth [a] will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.[b] 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.”  A few verses later, in Matthew 24:44, it states that no one knows the day and hour, so we should just be ready.  The main point that comes from this verse is that there is no reason to wait to accept Jesus into your life, especially when there are reasons given as to why we should do it sooner rather than later.

Discussion Question: According to the Bible, does it matter what hour or day the End Time/ Rapture comes?  While we are told that we do not know the time, we are told what happens when the time does come.  Does this seem fair to you? Why or why not?

14 thoughts on ““Left Behind”: The Rapture (Laura Shores, Feb 23-March 1st Discussion)”

1. I believe that according to the bible it doesn’t matter what time or day the Rapture comes but what does matter is the events before and after the Rapture. “But of that day and hour no one knows,” Jesus said to His disciples on the Mount of Olives (Matthew 24:36) It seems fair that we are told what happens but not when it happens because it prevents chaos.

2. God telling us about what happens and not when it happens is a way to protect us. From a very philosophical point of view, don’t you think if you knew when the rapture would come, you would act and live your life differently? By him telling us what will happen, he’s trying to get people to understand the importance of being a follower of the Lord. So in essence it doesn’t matter when the day will come, what matters is how you live your life till the day comes.

1. I love this response! I believe the same thing, I just wanted to keep my opinion out of the blog as to not influence anyone else’s opinion!! 🙂

2. I am in agreement with Mary’s statement. Abiding by God’s rules is a personal choice made by an individual. God allows people to have freewill, whether or not to follow him or not to follow him. The sole purpose of the bible is to guide followers of God until the day he returns. God has already made it known that the rapture will take place, therefore it is an individuals person decision to try to maintain a righteous lifestyle.

3. I think it is completely fair that we do not know the time when the end is coming. It would definitely change the way people act in this world, especially for people alive when time is almost up. If they were aware that the end is coming during a time frame while they are still alive, it would affect they way the act and live their life. God wants us to act and live our lives based on our faith, not based on the last day.
    I find it interesting that the movie shows the saved people disappear and everyone else is left on Earth for a certain period. My religion also believes in the end of time and that on that day the angels will come down and the trumpet will blow and Jesus will come. It is said by many religious scholars of my religion that when the end is coming, it will mostly be only the worst of people that will be alive during that time anyway. So I find it interesting how it correlates with my religion that the “unsaved” people get left behind when the end is coming.

4. I do not believe that it matters when the rapture will take place. It is imperative for Christians to live right and be guided based on what the bible says. I do believe this is fair because if people knew the exact time that the rapture would take place then people would not strive to live a life that is pleasing in God’s sight. In God’s supreme wisdom everyone will be judged based upon the condition of their heart, so in other words, people need to live everyday as though it was their last day. Righteousness is something that you practice, it is not to be played with.

1. Micah, I like the way you put into perspective that since we do not know when is the last hour is, we should live everyday as it is our last day. Usually people say that so they justify doing whatever they desire, good or bad. But, you put it in a way as that we must live life righteously and have good in our hearts.
      You are correct that many people won’t strive to please God if they knew the hour. In my opinion, many people will believe they can do as they please, because they still have enough time to repent and make amends with God, and that is not right.

5. I do not think there is a specific date set in stone as to when the rapture will happen. However, I do believe that in the end we are all going to be judged so it’s important to have a personal relationship with Jesus so you can make sure you will be “glorified”

1. Lauryn, I agree with you! We do not know exactly when the rapture will happen, but that is the reason why we try to live by the bible and the word of God.

6. According to the Bible, no, it doesn’t matter the time in which Jesus comes in the rapture. I’m not sure if it is fair or unfair? That is a good question. Ultimately I guess it is fair because that’s the way it is. I think it helps us to always be ready for His return. If we knew the exact time we may not always live “the way we are suppose to” until right before He returned or near His return.

7. I do not believe that it matters when or at what time the Rapture will come but I have seen the movie and I believe that is not fair that those who are good but do not accept Jesus as their Lord and Savoir are not accepted to heaven. If that is the case then, in reality, wouldn’t the entire Jewish population be left behind? Did Jesus not die for all of our sins? Would that mean that no matter what the sin it is forgiven? I believe that Rapture will have some more rules if you will which allow for all of those who are good people to be accepted to heaven and those that are not will be left behind.

8. I think it is fair we don’t know when. We are to live our lives normally and when it happens it happens, I think it’s in out best interest as well to not know. It is fair to know what happens though.

1. I agree, because people may be focused on trying to live “perfect” life and they may not really be living. Life isn’t just about going to work everyday and paying bills.

9. I feel like it is fair. We do not know when Jesus is coming back, so why wait? We have to prepare now, because I’m sure people do not want to be left behind. We should want our relationship to grow throughout our life.