Passion of the Christ / How does one obtain salvation? (Anthony Perozich, For 2/16-2/22 Discussion)

Passion of the Christ Video Link

The Passion of the Christ is a film that was produced in 2004 and was directed by Mel Gibson. It is a movie that depicts most of the life of Jesus. The link that I have included on the movie is a short clip that simply shows the scene of Jesus rising from the dead. According to the Bible, Jesus died and rose again after three days. He died and rose again to provide the way of salvation. The topic of salvation will be discussed in this blog post.

In class we discussed salvation, in the book of Matthew; what does that mean? What does it mean to be a Christian? Does it mean you just go to church, or maybe be a good person? What does it mean to be “saved”?

In life I’ve had these same questions and have discussed them with others including some in this class. I have found an answer and I think the supporting video below does a good job of explaining it. I hope that the video and the written description will assist in answering some of those questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfXybggH4Qo&app=desktop

Several topics in our class that have been taught on include: sin, creation, and the difference “between” the New and Old Testament God. We have discussed that the original sin and how it was committed by Adam and Eve. We have discussed according to the Catholic faith that humans are born good. Whether you believe that or not, the Bible states that “All have sinned and come short of the glory of God” Romans 3:23. Whether we are born good or not, may be a good question; but at some point, we have all sinned and that’s what we need to be saved from. A quick definition of sin would be doing anything that the God says not to do. So if you have lied, stolen, cheated, or many other things then you have sinned. Who hasn’t right? We all have. That is the reason that we need to be saved. Because we have all sinned and “fallen short” we need intervention or a mediator. And that mediator is Jesus Christ. And He became that mediator when He died on the cross for all of our sins and then rose again.

As mentioned, one of the topics discussed in class is the difference between the New and Old Testament God. We said that many Christians see that the Old Testament God is an “angry” God or a “just” God. We saw that many Christians see the New Testament God as a loving or caring God. But when it comes down to it, He is the same God, according to the Bible. “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” Hebrews 13:8. Although He may not be manifesting in the exact same way He is still the same being. As human beings we may not be able to understand the full scope of how someone or something can be all loving and all just and all kind all at the same time. For example, like mentioned in the supporting video, if one hasn’t asked forgiveness of their sins and turned from their evil ways then that individual goes to hell, according to the Bible. II Thessalonians 1:8-9 “In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction (referring to hell) from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;” Revelation 20:15 “And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.” Those are just two of the many verse which talk about hell and who goes there; and both of those verses are found in the New Testament.

Ok, so we see what the Bible says about hell; but how does one get to heaven, or obtain salvation? This is the good news. Just like stated in the supporting video, all we have to do is to ask Jesus to forgive us of all of our sins; turn from our old ways; and live a life according to the Bible, the way that Jesus wants us to live. John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” Acts 2:21 “And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.” Acts 3:19 “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out…” These last few verses are also found in the New Testament.

In review, we saw that the Bible states that God is and always will be the same. The explanation of salvation was given. Hopefully the reader has clear or clearer understanding on how a person goes to heaven according to the Bible verses and depicted in the video.
Questions for Discussion:
How do you feel about what the Bible says concerning salvation? Do you agree or disagree? Was this blog post helpful?

Works Cited:
BibleGateway. (n.d.). Retrieved February 13, 2017, from https://www.biblegateway.com/
D. (2009, November 24). The Passion of the Christ – Last Scene. Retrieved February 13, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKSe9PE002o
Soteris1. “The Good News † The Gospel Message.” YouTube. YouTube, 17 Oct. 2011. Web. 13 Feb. 2017.

16 thoughts on “Passion of the Christ / How does one obtain salvation? (Anthony Perozich, For 2/16-2/22 Discussion)”

1. I feel that what the Bible is saying concerning salvation is correct. I do agree with Anthony. He says, “If one hasn’t asked forgiveness of their sins and turned from their evil ways then that individual goes to hell, according to the Bible”. This blog post was helpful.

2. The blog was helpful, but some of the information in the second video is false. The part where it says, “[Jesus] turned to God the father and asked him…”. This is saying that Jesus and God are two separate people, which they are not. Jesus cannot ask God anything because Jesus is God. It says, “[God] told Jesus to go to earth, and live a perfect life.” Jesus is God, and he is perfect. Because God is perfect, he would automatically live a perfect life. There is another part where it says, “..[I](as in God) can make it possible for them to be forgiven the day when they ask you to exchange their imperfect record for Your(Jesus) record.” This video was created by a man, who has not lived in Heaven, nor knows who God really is; therefore does not know if God has a book with all the bad things each human does. Also, nobody knows whether or not someone’s “imperfect record” is “exchanged” with “Jesus record” if there was any such records.

3. I am in agreement with Anthony and Karissa. The bible presents a clear understanding of salvation. The scriptures John 3:16 and Acts 2:21 both explain that if trust and belief in God is expressed by an individual that eternal life and salvation will be the ultimate outcome. This blog post provides a detailed explanation of salvation along with textual support from the bible.

4. I feel really good about salvation. I agree with your post, I agree with the video and I agree with my peers as well. While this post was helpful (in the sense of understanding how you interpret salvation and back this up with examples) I myself have my own input about salvation.
    Yes, I do believe in salvation; Yes, I believe that if you live your life according to God, meaning you follow his Commandments, you will be saved. As a Catholic, I also believe that if you confess yourself of your sins to a priest and receive the act of penance, you will be absolved of he sins committed and once again be seen as “ready” for Heaven. However, I also believe that no one goes directly to Heaven … It is to my understanding, and belief, that all who die enter Purgatory. Think of this as a waiting room in the sky. This is the last place to cleanse yourself of ALL your sins and finally be ready for God’s final judgment.

5. In the Good News Gospel Message video it explains that the purpose for hell is to serve justice to wrong doers. I am in agreement with this because if there was only just heaven then people would not obey and follow God’s commandments. It would not be fair for people who on a daily basis abide by God’s rules and try to maintain a religious life. But I disagree with the statement made that heaven is for perfect people because God forgives people if they ask for repentance and everyone is guilty of committing sin in one form or another.

6. I agree with God’s interpretation of salvation. I honestly believe that to understand it fully, a person has to be willing to be one with Christ. I think this blog gave great examples and textual evidence. Although, I do believe that we are set to a very high standard to even reach salvation.

1. I think that a couple of people thought the same thing, and I agree. In that in order to fully understand and to fully appreciate the salvation is to be willingly be on with Christ. I think its to form that relationship that God wants us to have with him, and with Jesus Christ is what ties us to the root of salvation. I definitely like the textual evidence you had, and it really helped with understanding some of the concepts you were trying to explain.

7. I have always struggled with the definition of what it means to be “saved” but this post and the link you provided helped me get a better understanding of this concept. I personally have never believed that in order to obtain salvation you need to follow his commandments, I was brought up to believe that as long as you have a relationship with God, that determines your salvation.

1. Growing up I was surrounded in a strong catholic faith, where it was strictly just prayers and attending masses that formed that relationship with God, which bring about salvation. SO i get where you’re coming from. But as I learned about the Christian faith, I learned more about the actual purpose of prayer, and forming that relationship with Jesus. This article does a good job in explaining that with salvation, we must believe in Jesus and continually live our lives in relation to him. Because we are all sinners, and we all need to be forgiven in order to be saved.

2. I agree that as long as you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and savior, then you are saved. Although, he does expect you to follow the commandments. I don’t think he would want a murderer with him in heaven, so I would say try to follow the ten commandments and repent.

8. I as well agree with His interpretation of salvation. I agree with exactly what Paula says about Purgatory. If you are Catholic and have been to confession, how many times have to apologized to God about talking about to your parents and then do it a couple days later? Me! I don’t think it is fully possible to be 100% clean and go straight to Heaven. This blog post was very helpful!

9. This blog is helpful, but at some point I can’t agree God’s interpretation of salvation, I believe that people who did what the God told not to do go to the hell and people who followed God’s word will go to the heaven, however when people did something bad, they should only ask God to wipe out their sin and not ask the Jesus. Also, from the first video I can’t believe how the Jesus rose after three days of his death.

10. I believe the bible(God) has set standards for us to live by but God knows we are imperfect but that is the whole reason of praying for forgiveness and willing to give up things that are not right in our lives.

1. Thanks for your comment. Yes I agree with you. I am so grateful that God realized and realizes that we are imperfect and mess up; and more importantly that He made a way for us to be forgiven of the sins or bad things we commit.

11. The video was helpful to understand deeper but I don’t understand the person describing our soul “the real you”.

12. I think the bible has shown us a way of life that we must follow, if you do that then you’re pretty much set to go to heaven. I also think if you just live a good life where you are genuinely good to all then you’re fine.