“Clockwork Origin” (Becky Lake, For 2/16-2/22 Discussion)

This Youtube link comes from a Futurama episode, Clockwork Origin. (The full episode is on Netflix if you want to get the full experience-I highly recommend it.) In this episode, scientist Farnsworth challenges a fellow scientist, Dr.Banjo on the realities of evolution; Farnsworth presents all this evidence supporting evolution, but Dr. Banjo focuses on the one missing link in the chain. Even after proving the existence of the final link, this Dr.Banjo still supports creationism over evolution. In a fit of frustration. Dr. Farnsworth leaves the planets, settling on a deserted planet with toxic water. Over the course of a few days, Farnsworth’s nanobots, designed to purify the water, begin to evolve themselves and eventually take on human, robotic form (with reason and speech). When Farnsworth presents himself as their creator, the robots reject the notion in favor of evolution.

Picture Credit: Internet (pulled from the actual episode)

Futurama offers a very unique (and humorous) position on the controversy of this ongoing debate between creation and evolution; it also contains some contradictions. Dr.Banjo accepts evolution because of the robot evolution evidence and Farnsworth acknowledges a creator after being a creator himself, seeing the ability for creation and evolution to exist side-by-side. In the case of the modern world, we don’t have an easy example to prove a creator; scientist still reject the idea of a creator and some Christians still reject evolution.

In my opinion we should approach the Bible with a critical approach, as suggested in “Dei Verbum”. When understanding the first chapters of the Bible, we shouldn’t take the information literally, we need to consider the conditions and current understandings of the human authors. At the creation of the Bible, human authors had little knowledge of the scientific nature of the world. It was only until more modern times that humans could understand the complexities in the universe.

Question for Discussion:
Is it possible to believe both creation and evolution when the Bible clearly states that humans were created in seven days? If God (the Creator) were to appear in modern times would people believe Him or would they reject Him just like the robots with Farnsworth?

22 thoughts on ““Clockwork Origin” (Becky Lake, For 2/16-2/22 Discussion)”

1. I believe you can only choose one of the two; creation or evolution. It is based on each persons personal beliefs and however they want to think this came to be. For example, some people will believe evolution because it has been proven through scientific studies, which is easier for people to wrap their heads around. While others believe in creation due to the fact that they believe in God. To those people, God can do the impossible, therefore, it does not have to make sense to them. Being Catholic although, I do believe in creation as the bible says.

I do also believe people would reject Him. Who would believe a random person saying he’s God? Not me that’s for sure!

1. No, I do not believe it is possible for someone to believe both in a creator and evolution. I believe that someone chooses 1 religion to live by. It doesn’t make sense for someone to pick and choose facts from different beliefs and religions that seems “believable” to them and avoid things that seem “unbelievable.” Religion isn’t made to necessarily be easy to understand and believe, most religions just teach that it is by FAITH that you live by.
      For the second question, it is impossible to answer for everyone, though I would love to believe that if God came to earth it would make everyone who doesn’t believe in Him now, believe in Him then.

2. Becky, you brought up a very interesting but tough question. In my opinion, I believe there IS a way to believe in BOTH creation and evolution. A great point to validate my belief was brought up in a past reading from our class book about the story of creation called “In the Beginning..” by Joseph Ratzinger. On page 50 it states:
    “We cannot say: creation or evolution, inasmuch as these two things respond to two different realities. The story of the dust of the earth and the breath of God, which we just heard, does NOT in fact explain how human persons come to be but rather what they are. It explains their inmost origin and casts light on the project that they are. And, vice versa, the theory of evolution seeks to understand and describe BIOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS. But in doing so it cannot explain where the “project” of human persons comes from, nor their inner origin, nor their particular nature. To that extent we are faced here with two complementary – rather than mutually exclusive – realities.”

3. I think you can believe in both a creator and evolution, at least that is what I believe. I take the Dei Verbum view on the Old Testament as being a story with God’s messages being the central theme rather than a literal translation. Without any scientific facts to go on, the story in Genesis is a rather tidy way of presenting how we came to be. I think it had far more gradually, with evolution actually bringing us to present day Adam and Eve (because in the timeline of the planet, despite Adam and Eve being a few thousand years behind us, genetically speaking we are probably pretty close to them.) But my faith makes me also believe that God had a hand in bringing about the opportunities for evolution to happen the way it did. As to whether I would believe it was God if he came to Earth in present day, I’m just not sure. I’d like to think my faith would make me believe, but in this day and age with a lot of nuts out there it would take some pretty impressive miracles I guess!

1. Christine, I find your view on being able to believe in both interesting! As I stated, I feel that you can only believe in one or the other, and while that still stands, I respect your view of thinking God just maybe had a hand in evolution. It’s an interesting way to think about it. Why, though, do you choose to believe in things “evolving” over time instead of what the Bible clearly and simply states, God created everything, and it was good in His eyes…? Just something to think about 🙂

1. Laura, I respect your opinion on believing only one of the two concepts. I agree with you God did create everything, and it was good in his eyes. But God never said anything about things staying the same. Everything CHANGES, for example God created you and believed you were good in his eyes, but you also evolved over time to the person you came to be today. Also if you read my earlier comment, it explains how the bible explained what and who we are as human beings and who our creator is, and what we are made out of (dust and breath of God). But, it never really gave much detail on HOW we came to be. Now we have SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE proving HOW we came to be over time. It is scientifically proven so there is no denying it, but just because you believe in science doesn’t mean you can’t have faith in God and believe He is the one who created us and everything in the universe. Evolution is not claiming there is no God that created us (even though many people interpret it that way), it is just showing how we evolved over time to be the good beings God created us to be. Maybe you can look at it as God wanted to create human beings, and he used the process of evolution todo so maybe? Just a thought 🙂

2. Laura, I guess the way I am able to believe in things as changing over time because of all the scientific evidence we have. Geological, fossil records, the findings of preserved neanderthals, etc lead me to have no doubt about evolution. It’s the God part that’s the leap of faith I guess. Because of my faith I believe that God did create it – it just took more time than 7 days. I think the 7 days was a more symbolic construct of time, as no one was there to witness it from start to finish it seems to be more of a creation story than an actual literal account. I had not read Dei Verbum before taking this class, but it seems that the Catholic bishops were trying to say the same thing – that science and faith didn’t have to be mutually exclusive.

4. I think if God were to appear today, people would reject him. Not just because of the rejection of Christianity in society but because people would find him crazy. There is actually a book about what it was like for the people of the time Jesus was around and it gives a very interesting insight as to why most did not believe him. I think people would find him to have Personality Disorder or some other form of mental instabilities.
    I find it very easy to believe in both creation and evolution. I very much like how Samara put it. Not taking the bible literally and thinking of it more abstractly, it’s very possible to see both.

5. I think if God(The Creator) were to appear today most people would reject him because they are scared of change. I think you can’t believe in both a creator and evolution because at some point they will go against each other and leave you with Science and God which is fine but not the same.

6. I strongly believe that they both intertwine. God made the world in 7 days in his time. Time to him is different to us. 7 days to him could’ve been 700 years to us. Within those 7 days, things evolved. I do believe that if Jesus came back people would deny him. No one would believe it’s him, because no one has seen him before.

1. I think you put it in perfect words of how evolution and creation intertwine. I never thought of supporting the argument by how days could be different for God and us but agree with you.

7. Thanks for your post. I found it interesting, and it is most definitely a debatable topic. To answer your first question directly, no, one cannot fully believe in evolution and fully believe in creation because they are two opposite things. Now a person may be able to believe in parts of both. For example one may be able to believe that God created everything: humans, animals, plants, ect but then overtime the different species have “evolved” a bit. I don’t mean that a humans came from a monkey, but more “survival of the fittest”. For example if one type of tiger survived better then another type due to weather or food sources then it would be more likely that the one type of tiger would survive longer and the other type not so much. The surviving type would continue to thrive and mate with it’s own kind of tiger and possibly with other types of tigers as well and over time a new species of a different looking, or maybe a whole new type of tiger would “evolve”.

To answer your other question, No, I do not believe if God were to appear in the modern age that people would believe who He was. He came once, did miracles, died on the cross, rose from the dead, and only a small portion of the world believed that He was the Messiah and Savior.

8. I strongly believe that the ideas of evolution and creation complement each other in the sense that you cannot have one without the other. I understan that some people will say “evolution is just a theory” but so is gravity and it has evidence to support it.

9. I believe that it’s possible to believe in both in creation and evolution. As a firm believer in God and that he created us and everything surrounding us, I also firmly believe in evolution as well. It would be unfair for somebody to question my faith in my creator, which is God, due to my belief in evolution as well. It is possible to believe in both. I believe that God creates life, but I also believe in the fact that the life that he created can change as well.

If there was a person claiming to be God just chilling around stating that he’s God, it would be hard to believe him, especially with how our modern society is. I don’t think that I would be able to believe that the person claiming to be God is actually him.

10. If I have to pick a side I would definitely say I believe in creation, because in the Bible it already said that God created the world in seven days, I think people who is Christian would believe in creation. If God appears in modern day people wouldn’t believe him, because now days people believe in science more than Bible.

11. I believe that there is a way to believe in both evolution and creation. As a strong believer in God that he created us and everything around us, I also believe, that was the basis of everything and then evolution started. With everything God had created I believe that things had to and can evolve/change.

Regarding whether or not people would believe someone if they said they were God, I don’t think people would believe him. Unless there was a way for him to prove it to the modern society I don’t think people would believe him with how our society is nowadays.

12. I think that it is possible to believe in both creation and evolution. I also think that people reject God if he were to show up today. I think that some people would have a hard time believing because they would want some type of proof.

13. I really liked the questions you proposed because I actually have not given this much thought. I agree with Samara when she says that God did indeed allow men to appear but the bible gives no information as to how humans were created. So in some case, it may be implied that both the idea of creation and evolution might have some sort of correlation. Personally, I do think people would reject Him if he were to suddenly appear today due to the randomness of His coming and disbelief.

14. To further my argument, I know that God created humans out of dust yet there is the scientific explanation behind evolution. These are two very extreme theories and in ways, just like Anthony mentioned above, it is possible to believe in both parts. I think with life and its ever changing state it is possible that man evolved into what we are today and, technically, we don’t know the very beginning because we were not physically there to witness the moment of human creation.

15. I believe in evolution, I don’t think it was possible for humans and life to be created in 7 days. I think that there is a higher power and we did come from something but I find it hard to believe that it was all done in 7 days.

16. First off big futurama fan right here. I think that evolution and creationism sort of go hand in hand. In the beginning, there was nothing but then something caused the big bang which created life. To me, it makes sense that someone or something helped evolution along. I think most people would only accept him after he proved he was God. I know I would not believe him without proof.