Extra Credit

November 30, 2019 | Leave a Comment

On Nov 20, I attended the poetry reading for Earl Braggs. It was a fantastic event that I enjoyed it so much. Braggs is a creative writing and poetry and African literature professor at Vermont College. He is the author of a lot of poetry collection that he read some of them in the poetry reading event. In the reading poetry event, Braggs read some of his poems and answered the audience questions at the end of the event. Braggs describes himself as a political poet. That he expresses his feeling through his poems, a lot of his poems talks about a real-life situation that happened and affect people’s lives in some ways. For example, there is a poem about Malcolm X and a poem about the 9-11tragedic event. In my opinion, a lot of Braggs poems show self-understanding for the events that he talks about. This can be a type of poetic autobiography, as Smith and Watson explain in the book Reading Autobiography that poetic autography is a “mode of the lyric distinguished, according to James Olney, not by content but by “the formal device of recapitulation and recall” (276). And the thing that distinguishes poetic autobiography from regular lyric is the “use of memory,” and I think this is what Braggs meant when one audience asked him about the reason or the motive for his poetry, he answers that he wants to express himself and his feeling.In the end, there were some Braggs books for sale, and some students were interested in buying some book and having the author signature on it. It was a great experience to attend an event like this and hear from a poet like Earl Braggs.