All of the Main Characters in Great Expectations are Jerks, Except for Joe, Biddy, and Herbert

Great Expectations Jerks

December 3rd, 2019 · No Comments · Uncategorized

With the exception of Joe, Biddy, and Herbert, everyone in great expectations is basically a jerk of one type or another. Those that aren’t jerks are mostly minor characters, so reading this book can be emotionally confusing sometimes.
Dickens, being the author of this book, must have been a jerk himself. He sure seemed to know of the many types of jerks that exist, and what jerks will act like in any aspect of society. Either he was surrounded by jerks, he was one, or both. They say, “It takes one to know one”. I have some experience at being a jerk myself, so I think I am pretty good at spotting other jerks.
It is difficult to really hate any of the characters with the exception of Orlick, and Compeyson in my opinion because they all have their reasons for behaving the way that they do. On the other hand, they should have risen above their situation and been better people. I’m no angel, and I have committed my share of sins. I have been as poor as a person can possibly be. But I have never stooped as low as many of these characters are, and ultimately, I only blame myself. In the end, I have learned from these things, and have tried to become a better person because of them.
Four of the characters are bent on revenge. Only Miss Havisham regrets her actions, and that is only because it backfired on herself. I’ll admit, sometimes revenge can feel good. But only when it is directed at the person or thing that wronged you in the first place. These characters simply form a prejudice against an entire group, and try to take revenge on all of them.
Everyone else is doing anything that they can to further themselves, even at the cost of others.While it seems that I see this book as a bad story, this is not true. Many of the things that apply to these characters are common in all of us and it is easy to sympathize with them when they are punished by their own actions. Many people may not be satisfied with the ending of this book, since it did not have the perfect Disney type ending. I feel that the book was telling a lesson. It made its point very well with the ending that it had. If anything, everything tied itself up more neatly than the unfairness of real life.
It may seem that I don’t like many of these characters that I am referring to as jerks. This is not the case. Many of them repented, and changed for the better. All of us are jerks at one time or another in our lives. Most of us use these experiences to avoid being jerks in the present, and future. And if we don’t, there are plenty of other jerks around to point out the errors of our ways.

Tags:

No Comments so far ↓

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.