I’ll admit that the first time I heard the title “Lean In” I thought Sheryl Sandberg was talking about women leaning in to your Facebook photos. Initial response, “Gross”. I was later enlightened and pleased to know that she was actually discussing women in leadership. This topic made me feel a lot better :). It took almost a year after the book was published for me to snag a copy in my local library but alas I was triumphant. Several trips to the pool later and I was finished. I didn’t read the entire book but I feel that I was able to grasp everything based on what I read (there were only 2 chapters left). The book resonated with me and mirrored conversations I’d had with other women. We’d been taught that working hard and being good at what we do would get us the promotion if we just waited for it. Be patient and it will come to you on a silver platter. But how long do you wait for the platter to appear? And are male counterparts doing the same? It’s evident by the overwhelming percentage of male CEO’s that the answer is NO.

Let me be clear. It is not my intent to say that this describes all women or all men. I’m merely stating that there are few women who are as aggressive about their careers as men. After reading this book and realizing that I had my work cut out for me, I sought more books about the topic. I figured, clearly there are some women who have figured out how to make this work. This led me to “The Stiletto Network”. My love of shoes may have drawn me to the title but the information in the book was just as satisfying. This book told the story of women who had come together, met regularly, and shared ideas. The topics were vast but most centered on business and or politics. The power of putting a few women in a room and imagine the endless possibilities. The women helped each other by making connections and providing advice. All while continuously climbing corporate ladders.

What is needed to increase the women’s presence in the top executive levels? I don’t know. The answer, however, can be in the power of our collective voices or in the messages we send our young girls. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the topic.

Ronada
actlikealady-hinklikeaboss-girlQuotess-girlpower-Quotes