The semester is over and grades have been posted. Everyone has a different standard for what level of performance he or she expects and demands. Many students at Marymount just completed their first semester of their advanced degrees. While I hope everyone has met or exceeded their goals, I am sure some students missed the mark.

If you are facing underwhelming performance, I think it is important to remember that graduate school is not the same as undergrad. This has to do with students, professors, and academic realities. If you haven’t already, it is important to talk with your professors. Graduate level professors, in my experience, are more willing to work with students and they are more invested in helping them succeed. They might be able to tell you where you encountered issues that you didn’t see or offer advice to overcome specific challenges.

Marymount’s graduate offerings are diverse. While top grades may be required for students going on to other academic institutions, top grades may not be required for students working on their terminal degrees. It is also important to keep in mind that, depending on your schedule and field of study, it may not be practical to perform on the level you want to. You may have too many commitments and be spread too thin. Graduate school is a great opportunity to stretch for and exceed your personal limits. It is reasonable that you would occasionally meet those limits. You may need to adjust your schedule or realign your expectations with your abilities. You shouldn’t beat yourself up when you have reached your 100%. If it were easy, everyone would be here.

-Chris M.