run4fun

October 26, 2014 | Leave a Comment

If your anywhere in Arlington you’ve probably seen people running through the streets. I like to joke what is everyone running from?
From my experience I have found that Fall by far, is the best time to run or start running. The temperature is nearly perfect, the leaves are falling from the trees, and there’s a slight breeze. With that said, it’s not always easy. Some the negatives of running in this area are that it is a bit hilly and there are cars everywhere! If you’re looking for some good places to run nearby besides the busy streets, there are a couple trails I would recommend. The Custis Trail is awesome! It’s also nice to ride bikes if you aren’t into running. I believe its relatively less hilly than street running and its pretty scenic through the woods and Arlington neighborhoods. Also if you’re feeling bold you can run along the GW parkway aka the Mount Vernon trail. It’s scenic and it’s alongside river!
So my real point is why are we running? Well with all this running you should be pretty fit by Thanksgiving right? That means you can eat whatever you want eat. Having a fun Fall event to celebrate and showcase your new hobby is a must. There are a couple runs I’ve done last year in the area I recommend checking out. There’s the turkey trot 5k on Thanksgiving in Arlington. Also if you’re up for a challenge there’s a 5 miler turkey trot in Alexandria. I do this one every year with my family.

david

My friend Santa at the Ugly Sweater Run

But, one of my favor races of the year in this area is over in National Harbor it’s called, “The Ugly Sweater Run.” I believe it’s the first week of December this year. It is worth looking into and let me tell you why. You dress up in ugly sweaters they give you Santa hats and hot cocoa while you run through a maze of blow up Christmas decorations and fake snow while they blast Mariah Carey. It is the best. Also, like it can’t get any better, waiting for you at the finish line last year was a Sam Adams winter lager and cider beer garden. So if you love Christmas and beer this run is for you. Start training now! Basically we are in a great area to run, and we need to take advantage of this great time of year. Not to mention, running is a huge stress reliever and good for your heart and your brain!