Gold Affair

May 24, 2014 | Leave a Comment

The Marymount Alumni Association just hosted Gold Affair 2014.  Gold Affair is an annual semi-formal reception to welcome the new graduating class into the Marymount University Alumni Association.  This year’s event was hosted at the Clarendon Ballroom, a popular change from previous years.  The evening included both undergraduate and graduate student members of the class of 2014 along with graduates from the last decade.

A couple of graduating classmates and I attended and we all had a great time.  There was an open bar and hors d’oeuvres served all night.  More important than all of that, in my opinion, was the opportunity to talk to other Marymount students.  While there are always chances to network, those occasions, especially at the graduate level, are normally filled with students in the same situation that you are in.  Attendees of Gold Affair traverse the spectrum of Marymount and I was able to meet a number of new people as well as catch up with former classmates.

There is a lot of value that can be realized by a graduate degree.  Ideally students will complete their programs and possess new knowledge and skills, have a fancy piece of paper to show for it, but also have a vast new network of professionals upon which to draw.  I think one of Marymount’s strengths, exemplified at Gold Affair, is the sheer diversity of students upon which it attracts.

I commend the University and the Alumni Association on the event and look forward to attending again next year.

-Chris M.