I want to extend my heartfelt congratulations to one of my former classmates, Karen Maldarelli. She and I had healthcare classes together over the past couple of years.

Karen attended Marymount for her undergraduate degree and decided she wanted to return for graduate school. She started full time classes in January of 2012 and in May of 2013 completed a degree program, MBA and Healthcare Management.

Karen applied to the United States Navy’s Direct Accession program last May. The government shutdown delayed the results but late this winter she was selected. She took her oath of office, on the steps of the Capitol building in Washington, DC, and received her commission to the US Navy, as a Lieutenant Junior Grade. Karen’s older sister, Lieutenant Commander Maldarelli-Drey (also an MU graduate) performed the swearing in ceremony.

Karen is brilliant and was easily the hardest working student I have had the pleasure of working with in all of my time at Marymount. I believe her to be the finest example of the people that we want serving in our armed forces and I’m sure she will thrive.

-Chris M.