Last semester I had the chance to take part in a new mentorship program offered through Marymount’s Cybersecurity program.  The university worked with the Northern Virginia chapter of the Information Systems Security Association (ISSA) to provide mentors for students.  ISSA is a group of information security professionals that come together to discuss issues facing the industry.  The Northern Virginia Chapter is the largest in the world and they have monthly meetings across Northern Virginia.

The organization provided volunteer mentors to be paired with cybersecurity students and held a kick off meeting and dinner.  All of the mentors are professionals that have careers in information security.  While each paring needed to have a few scheduled meetings, it was very unstructured and left up to the pairs to set their own agendas.  The pairs were to get to know each other and interact where and how they were comfortable.   The goal was for the mentors to share knowledge, experience, and advice on how to shape a career in information security.  I found my experience to be very beneficial and continue to schedule meetings with my mentor.  His insight and advice have already proven useful in my career.  I appreciate ISSA’s generosity and I hope that Marymount and ISSA continue this program and would recommend it to any of the students in the Cybersecurity program.

-Chris