Res{owl}utions

January 24, 2014 | 2 Comments

Welcome back, y’all!

Historically, I abstain from making New Year’s resolutions.  My thinking: make goals throughout the year; it doesn’t have to be the 1st of January to change or better yourself.  However, there is something inspiring about a new year, a fresh start.  So, for the past two years, I have made general New Year’s resolutions in a variety of categories along with specific monthly/weekly goals to help me accomplish them.  Check ‘em out, and hold me accountable!

Social – Stay connected.  My past resolutions have been to schedule one coffee/lunch/dinner date with a friend a week to get my introverted self out of the house.  I have found this to be costly and difficult when coordinating crazy schedules, often leading to disappointment when I fail to check this weekly goal off my list.  So, this year I will write one letter and make one phone call to a family member and friend once a month.  Who doesn’t love snail mail?

Physical – Limit candy intake.  I am notorious for going through an entire box of Hot Tamales in a half-hour episode of Parks and Recreation.  Not so healthy.  I am limiting myself to one treat a week.  Wish me luck.

Spiritual – Find a church home by March 1 – Our Church went through a lot of changes somewhat recently resulting in the elimination of the young adult service.  While shopping for a new home should not be rushed, we have come to the point where we need to commit and get involved.  

Financial – My fiance, Jeff, and I will be participating in the 52-week savings plan.  Each of us will deposit the number of that week of the year into a jar for our honeymoon!  By the end of the year, we will have saved $1,378 each, $2,756 total!  Aloha.

Education – Finish all assignments this semester one day before they are due and read one book a month.  Obviously I’m a procrastinator if completing an assignment the day before, not the day of, is a resolution for me.  I blame perfectionism.  I am always editing until the last minute.  No more, my friends.  As for reading, I plan on accomplishing that task through my TV-less-Tuesdays and Thursdays.  (If the book of the month just so happens to be listed on one of my syllabi, so be it 😉

Personal – Take a picture a day.  For two reasons.  Now that I am someone’s soon-to-be-wifey, I feel it is my duty to document the rest of our life together.  So, I’m slowing putting together a “yearbook” for us, which will, well… require a lot of pictures.  I would say I’m already failing at this as there will be days in January without a picture, but I realized I’ve already taken more pictures this month that I did in last year.  (Yeah, I’m that bad at taking pictures.)  Second, taking a picture a day will make me stop to enjoy the moment.  Whatever that moment it is.  For example, last week I got a flat tire.  It certainly made for a long Wednesday, but also for some good quality time with Jeff while waiting for AAA.

What will you accomplish in 2014?

For the love of goals and owls,

Ashley

tire

2 Comments so far

1.    Kristin Zukowski on January 24, 2014 8:06 pm      Reply

Good luck with the money challenge Ashley, I’m doing the same thing!! Figured I can treat myself to a vacation at the end of the year with my savings!

•    Ashley on January 27, 2014 1:50 pm      Reply

Good luck to you too!! We can do this!!