Internship Preview

November 18, 2013 | Leave a Comment

So this week was a crazy one.  Between work, my internship, and classes, I have been unbelievably busy, and I cannot wait until next week at this time when I will finally be back home in Massachusetts for Thanksgiving Break!

As a second year graduate student in MU’s Forensic Psychology program, I am required to complete an internship, and that is what I decided to talk about during my first blog post.  I am currently working at the American Association of Suicidology, whose office is located in the Friendship Heights neighborhood of D.C. (which is a cool area by the way, and if you haven’t checked it out yet, you totally should!) As an intern, I have been responsible for a variety of tasks, but by far the most interesting has been when I have been able to assist on projects that AAS is currently working on.  Our most recent project has dealt with the US Department of Transportation, looking at individuals who die by suicide via railroads.  While it’s not always the most pleasant work, it is extremely interesting reading up on the cases.  I have helped a lot with the coding and organization of the data we have collected, and the dork in me can’t wait for the project to be finished so I can read the final report and the suggestions that AAS makes.

As the only graduate intern this semester, I have been given the opportunity to be more involved things this semester, and am solely responsible for the Youth Advisory Board, which is a group of 20 high school and college aged students working with the National Center for the Prevention of Youth Suicide, which is a sub-division of the American Association of Suicidology.  This program was just launched in July, and thus far they really haven’t worked on any projects as a group.  While I spent most of my time struggling to get the students to respond to my emails, we are officially up and running, and have launched our first project.  “Messages of Hope” is a campaign being ran via Instagram, and encourages users to post photos using the prompt of “What do I Wake up For” as inspiration.  We have had some great involvement thus far, and the campaign is still in the early phases, so I cannot wait to see the photos that people continue to post!  If you have an Instagram, and want to get involved, just search for ‘@preventyouthsuicide’.

And now that I have successfully avoided writing my paper for the past hour, I must get back to my homework!  Thank you guys so much for taking the time to read my blog, and I cannot wait to update you on my life again post-finals!

– Kristin