I always heard the slogan, “Virginia is for Lovers” but only truly understood it recently as I have been discovering how beautiful and how much Virginia has to offer.  The other week I kicked off my favorite season with my very first hike in the Shenandoah Valley!

photo-16

I had always heard the Old Rag was a great hike and I have wanted to try this for years now. When my friend invited me to go hike Old Rag I couldn’t wait! I was nervous because I looked up some information on the mountain, and found out that it was a long strenuous hike. I was still excited and could not have asked for better weather. We carpooled to the mountain and tried to get there early since parking does fill up. The drive took about two hours from Arlington.

When we got there we got our things ready for the hike. We had plenty of water for each person, a light long sleeved jacket or shirt, sunglasses, and a backpack with our lunch. It was about a mile to the start of the trail, and then we were rolling! It was such a beautiful day and it was so relaxing to be out in beautiful Virginia.

photo-15

This hike ends up being about 9 miles, plus the mile to and from the parking lot. On your way up to the summit you see spectacular views, but nothing beats the summit. To get to the summit you go up a few rock scrambles, which had to be my favorite part! You get to climb and act like ninjas through a bunch of boulders. At the top of the mountain we stopped at the summit to admire the beautiful views and had our lunch.

photo-13

There are plenty of trails and mountains around the area to explore this fall. Hiking is perfect to view the fall foliage  here in Virginia. Go out there, get active and do something awesome!

with love,

Daisy

photo-17