Home Away From Home

I have a little over a month left here in Florence and I can’t help but be a little overwhelmed by that. Over the past three months, Florence has become my home. It is strange knowing that in a few weeks I will not be waking up to the sound of church bells outside my window or listening to the busy happenings of the city life. I will miss being able to walk two minutes from my apartment to grab a cappuccino on the way to class, or sit down outside at a local cafe and do my homework for the week. I will miss all of the breathtaking views Florence has to offer. But mostly, I will miss the people I have met and built relationships with here. Every time I have left Florence for either a weekend trip, day trip, or spring break, I notice that at the end of my trip I am excited and ready to come back home to Florence. It has without a doubt become my home away from home.

As excited as I am to reunite with my family and friends back home, I am so sad to leave the friends I have made here that now feel like family to me. I have learned how to accept when things go terribly wrong, how to travel with others, how to be flexible, and mostly how to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. I have learned from my mistakes, how to plan better and take advantage of the situation I am in in the moment. With every situation I have been in here, every person I have met, and every little thing I have experienced, I have grown. I knew these four months would be a growing experience, but I never expected them to be this life changing.

I have learned so much about myself that I feel like I know myself better than ever before. Of course I’m not done growing, as I never will be, but I know now that I have a better grip on what really matters than I did three months ago. I have learned so much more about my dreams and aspirations. I really do hope I get the chance to do this again before I graduate from Marymount.

A few years ago I never ever would have thought I would have the guts to study abroad in a foreign country, but here I am and I honestly am so proud of myself for taking this leap of faith. If you are reading this and you are not sure if you are ready to study abroad or not, just do it. Push yourself out of your comfort zone and experience something so different than ever before that it will be life changing. I promise you will not regret it.

Celebrating at the Duomo and Bell Tower

Being here has presented me with so many opportunities for the future that I am interested to see where they will take me. I have met so many professionals in the Interior Design and Architecture field which I have made connections with. Studying Interior Design in Italy has truly lit my passion on fire, I have never felt more inspired to do what I love. This Saturday I will be going on a field trip to Milan with one of my interior Design courses here to see the international furniture fair, something that is huge in my field of study and unheard of to be attending at the age of 19. I am so excited to share my experiences with my family, who will be here at the end of the weekend! Having the people I love most here with me is all I could ever want. I am looking forward to showing them around Firenze, the city that has stolen my heart.

Ciao for now,
Melissa Morreale