Winter Sadness

Dobry Den!

So, it been a week since I have been in Prague and I am so glad to say that I am so happy that I have pushed myself to travel abroad for several months. I am so excited to do new things and see new places and meet new people. Prague is so lovely and beautiful; the landscaping here is very ecstatic and elegant with a hint of modern buildings. I just wish that the people here are warmer and friendlier, but they are not, and I get it because it is a part of their culture.

I started my Czech intensive course this week and normal a course is always a semester-long, but this course was awfully different, it only ran for the first two weeks of our stay here. This would be a good way to interact with the locals and perfect my Czech. The course was kind of like survival lesson for us, in case something was to happen to us. I started classes with the people who were in my politics program. It was overwhelming for me because I came a day late to the program and I just feel like everyone is already comfortable with the people they just meet, in the fellow first days of the program. To top it all off, a majority of the people in the program come from the same school, so it kind of is a disadvantage for me. I am normally a social and outgoing person back at home, but my stay here in Prague is making it so difficult for me to open up and start conversation with people. It was almost intimidating for me. Right after class, everyone went their separate ways and I just realized that I did not have my roommate’s number, so it was going to be hard for me to figure out how to get home. I asked one of my classmates if she could help me get home; I knew she had lived close by and I thought it was worth a shot. She, a couple of other classmates, and I went to Mustek which is one of the city squares of Prague. There are so many stores and shops everywhere; it was very modern and almost reminded me of Manhattan, New York.

Coffee with friends

While I was at Mustek I learned that it is structured into two sections: the bottom area is linked to the high street that has various clothing chain stores recognized worldwide such as H&M, Zara, Mango, etc. whereas upper Mustek is known as Wenceslas square has more of a focuse on restaurants and cocktail bars. These restaurants can either be local or global food chains such as McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC, etc. We also went to Wenceslas square also has a statue of St Wenceslas on a horse that overlooks all Mustek and is profoundly famous and well known with tourists as well as the locals.

Furthermore, behind St Wenceslas on a horse is the Czech Republic national museum. However, it is currently under reconstruction, has been for several years, and will continue to be which is unfortunate for me as it was one area that would have allowed me to educate myself further on Czech culture and history but I’m sure one day I’ll come back to Prague when it’s open again. I am so happy that I had the courage to talk to someone and it pushed me to go out of my shelf and slowly start to meet more people from my program. I’m glad to feel my old self again. I cannot wait for many adventures to come in Prague.

Ahoj,

Sanasa Cherif