Firenze Firsts

My first week in Florence has been filled with overwhelming emotions. Happiness, excitement, and nerves to say the least. Moving to a different country for four months is a big change followed by lots of adjustments. These past seven days have flown by. I feel like just this morning I was saying “arrivederci” to my family and friends back home.

Upon arrival in Florence, my luggage was lost, which was definitely an unexpected challenge, but by the end of the week everything worked out and I learned from the situation I was in. Luckily, my roommate Maggie and I share just about everything so finding something to wear wasn’t too much of a hassle. I have already learned so much within this first week, I can’t imagine how I am going to feel after four months. Learning my way around a new city has aided me to become much more aware of my surroundings and has taught me how to stay safe in a foreign country. I can feel myself becoming more and more independent every day and that is such a liberating feeling, like I’m on top of the world.

Enjoying my first Italian cappuccino

Florence took my breath away from the second I stepped out of the airport. Being an interior design major, Florence is one of the best places for me to be. The architecture and design here is absolutely stunning. It is so interesting to be surrounded by ancient works of art that I have studied for Art History and Interior design courses. As soon as I walk outside of my apartment door I look up to see the breathtaking Duomo which was designed by Lorenzo de’ Medici (also the name of the university that I am studying at). I had my first interior design class this morning, and I have to say I feel fully prepared for the course thanks to Marymount’s interior design department. Another challenge I came across is the use of the different metric system, but I will learn over time. My classmates are from all over the world which is so interesting to see how other students from different parts of the world learn and use their knowledge in the classroom. The Italian language is so beautiful, I’m looking forward to starting my Italian language class tomorrow and begin to get familiar with the language.

My view of the Duomo

Italy feels like home to me, I feel like I belong here. Everything here is so different in such a beautiful way. I can already tell I am not going to want to leave this place. The people here live stress free and simply live their lives to the fullest. This way of life feels like a work of art. I have learned to slow down, take everything in, and appreciate the moment that I am in. I have developed new friendships with all different types of people, including locals! The locals are so friendly and willing to help with directions, language, and anything you might need. Interacting with a different culture has been so inspiring. After these four months I hope to return to the US with a new appreciation for life and the world we live in. I am excited to continue to explore the streets of Florence, Italy and take you on my journey!

Ciao for now,

Melissa Morreale

2 thoughts on “Firenze Firsts