Saying Goodbye to a City I Love So Much

This week I spend my final days in London. A city my heart has grown so close to. I can’t even begin to describe how sad I am to be leaving this wonderful place, but also the pure happiness I have to be home. It is definitely a situation with many mixed feelings. This semester has been one of the best experiences, if not the best experience, of my life. I would have never thought I could learn so much about myself in so little time. When we all start college we think that we will be changed so drastically; we think we are going to learn everything about ourselves that was missing before. But I truly believe I never really learned much about myself until coming here. I have grown up so much and truly found my wants and goals in life through this experience. It not only helped me see what I want in my career, but life in general as well. I was able to get myself completely out of my comfort zone and experience so much of the world. Needless to say all of this is still completely unreal to me.

I honestly am beyond thankful for this experience, I don’t know where I would be without it. It truly has changed my life. Through all of the amazing people I have met and friends I have made, I have truly changed. I think being placed in a completely new setting, completely on your own, is what truly made this experience so amazing. Going off to college as it is, is a big step, but being placed in a completely different country and being on your own for four months was what really made me learn the aspect of maturity and life balance. I learned so much about the type of person I am and how I like to live my life and accomplish things. My friends here also played such an amazing role in my experience. Without them I don’t think I would have survived this semester. From not only being there for each other when times were tough, but making each other laugh endlessly. All of my friends here, I know will be some of my best friends for life. They truly taught me how to be better version of myself. Constantly showing positivity and support, and literally loving one another as family, since we only had each other this entire time.

Celebrating a friend’s birthday

I wouldn’t take back this experience for anything in the world. So, now I am finally down to my last three days here. Going out and doing everything possible to soak up as much of this city as I can before I have to say goodbye. The city, in which I will remember as one who helped shape me into the person I am today. Every piece of this city has made me so different. From learning to work the metro system with only the help of a friend, to learning the streets and boroughs. This city has become embedded in my brain; it has become a home to me. To my mom and dad, thank you so much for pushing me to do this and supporting me all along the way. I seriously would not be here without you. I also want to say thank you to all of my amazing friends and family who supported me along the way. To my friends here, thank you for truly being my family. I would be nowhere without you guys. It has been an amazing semester. So, now that there are actual tears in my eyes, I think it’s time to wrap this up. Studying abroad has been the most amazing experience of my life. If you’re even considering it, do it. It will change you. It will be completely amazing. It will truly make a difference on your life in the best way possible. Thank you to everyone, and I can’t wait to see what the future holds after this experience.

Me and my best friend Victoria

Sydney Helphenstine