Fall Break Memories

It insane to think that in just a matter of days, other days will become distant memories. Some memories will fade into “I think we did that or we saw that”. Others will forever be in our hearts. You spend months looking forward and planning something and all of sudden in a blink of an eye, it is over. That for me will forever be my fall break in Europe.

I will never feel the somber, sadness again I felt while touring Berlin, a city filled with dark history. I spent most of the tour in Berlin with goosebumps. Berlin is a sombre and dirty city yet still beautiful. We stood in spots with dark history; I felt that it was only fitting that we toured the city in dark, dreary and cold weather. I touched the Berlin wall and felt the separation.  I walked through the Holocaust memorial and lost my breath; I have an overwhelming amount of sadness, such a simple memorial can make a huge impact. Something that was astounding to me was that even though it is a city with such horrible history, it did not brush it off. It recognized that some of the worst acts of human justice happened in their city and honor the victims.

You could sense the sadness and separation

Amsterdam was a beautiful and wonderful city that exceeded my expectations. Ever since I was a little girl, I dreamt of going to the Anne Frank house and again it was one of those places that I truly never thought I was going to be able to see. This tour was such a humbling experience. You listen to their story as you move throughout their house. The power actually went out when we went into the house and we had to move throughout the house with flashlights and as much as this was an inconvenience, it added a sense of what they had to deal with: the quietness. As you walked, the floor creaked and I found myself tiptoeing throughout the house. Walking into her bedroom and seeing the pictures she had hung up in her room of movie stars and singers just as we did with the Jonas Brothers was very humbling.

You better know I got my first PSL in Berlin

We had a quick stop in Bruges, Belgium. It was like stepping into a fairy tale. Everything was completely and utterly perfect. The food might have actually been even more perfect than the city HAHA! I had the best fries I will ever eat in my life! As if it could not have been any better, I got a waffle with cookie ice cream, warm caramel and whipped cream. Let’s just say we didn’t eat dinner that night.

I do not think I will ever be able to eat another waffle again

Paris was absolutely a dream. Again, one of those places that I never thought I would see. I will never forget sitting behind the Eiffel tower at night with our huge group, having a late night picnic watching it twinkle with beauty. We walked throughout the streets of Paris in search of macaroons. We all looked around at each other and realized we were wandering the back streets of Paris. It was shocking.

Do not let this pic fool you: I almost feel off this

I was singing Lorde the entire time

Our last stop, Barcelona, was a city filled with unique beauty. Barcelona was never I spot I dreamt of going but I am so happy I did not miss it. It was filled with colorful beauty. I will never forget climbing to the top of the mountain the last day and overlooking Barcelona and the sunset. I sat there and thought about where we were, where we had been, and what we still have to look forward to!

Our tour guide referred to this as the Cheetah Girls spot

These are all a few moments from this trip that I will remember and hold close to my heart. I can only hope to be able to make it back to these places or countries.

Olivia Pienta

One thought on “Fall Break Memories