Florence Finds

Now that I have been living in the beautiful city of Florence for two weeks now, I have done quite a bit of exploring in this sector of Tuscany. Luckily, I only have class three days a week so that gives me two free days to wander around and get lost. Throughout the past week and a half I have been finding the most interesting places to eat, viewing beautiful pieces of art, and finding the best sceneries of the city. 

I have gone to a few places with my class so far, but there are also places that I have found by myself as well. Mister Pizza has come to be my favorite place so far, with their delicious pizzas being available until 4am!! Probably the best pizza I have ever had, and I’m not even a huge fan of pizza! There is also this place two doors down from our apartment building called La Milkeria, which has THE best gelato and Nutella crepes that I have had thus far. I’m starting to think the food here is too tempting for my own good. There is also a pretty famous sandwich place called Panbriaco that all of the students from LdM like to stop at while on their lunch break… I may have also stopped in a couple times.

Late night snack at Mister Pizza

With one of my classes that I am taking here, we have gone on two different trips together already. They have been small, walking distance, trips to popular sites that Florence has to offer. Our first stop was to the Uffizi Gallery which is a prominent art museum that focuses on works of art from the Italian Renaissance. The Gallery has works from Duccio to Leonardo da Vinci to Michelangelo to Rembrandt. The works of art, the ceilings, and the statues within the building were all unbelievable. Our second adventure that we went on was climbing up to the top of the Piazzale Michelangelo, which is a square with a panoramic view of Florence. It was free of charge, but required many tiring steps to reach the top of the hill where there was a breathtaking view welcoming you!

Exhibit 16 inside of the Uffizi Gallery of (Italian Renaissance) Art

The view from the top of the Piazzale Michelangelo

Aside from exploring Florence by myself and with my class, I also went to visit a town called Vicenza, which is located right next to Verona, for the weekend. I have High School friends stationed there from the United States so I went to visit them on my own and we ate at a lovely place called Le Pignole Winery one night, which is a hot spot for the locals to go to for dinner. It also has a great view of the vineyard!

With studying abroad comes opportunities to see different places by yourself, and also with professors and classmates. If you find you do not have enough time to see particular places by yourself, you are lucky enough to almost always have site visits worked in to your classes! This is a great way to travel in a group and with classmates while still immersing yourself in to your new city.

Next weekend my roommates and I plan on taking a day trip to Venice to celebrate Carnivale, which is a famous festival having to do with the start of lent, cannot wait to let you all know how it goes!

Caitlin Pacilio

One thought on “Florence Finds