Response 7

I don’t really know what I want to do for this project but I thought of 2 ideas that could work. During this class I found the roles of the women interesting. In a play like Julius Caesar they were made fun of and ignored. In Antony and Cleopatra we see a strong woman who is incharge of an empire. In Coriolanus we also see a strong women figure from Coriolanus’ mother. She stops him from destroying Rome. The in Romeo and Juliet we see a young girl who disobeyed what she is supposed to do and it comes out with a tragic end. Lastly Much Ado About Nothing we see a witty women like Beatrice which wouldn’t be allowed during that time. I think this would go perfect with the historical part because I could do research on what women were supposed to be like during shakespeare’s time and how this reflects in his plays. I could even talk about how he goes against some ideals because there are a couple strong important women in his plays. I would focus on 2 because doing all of them would be too much.

Another topic could be honor and how it is tackled in each play. All of the plays have themes about honor. And I could compare 2 plays and how they are similar and how they are different. From the historical perspective I can talk about why they would respond the way did did to being dishonorable. Many of the plays had people killing themselves because of dishonor and I could do some research of why they did that. I think for my presentation I will either do a oral presentation or narrated slideshow most likely the oral presentation.

One thought on “Response 7”

1. Hi, Giselle. Your blog has enough entries and covers all the requirements. You should add a link to your recording in Rome, and maybe an entry to two that ties specifically to your own interests/connections on the trips based on your pre-travel entry. I’d love to hear how you’d compare the Capuchin Crypt to catacombs in Rome, and/or to the scene in the Capulet crypt in Romeo & Juliet, for example. Your final project approach to look at women in a non-woman centered play sounds promising–I’d be interested to see how that might apply to Caesar or Coriolanus.