Student Project Showcase

Interactive Fiction Games

“Paul’s Case,” by Nikki Lopez

“The Cask of Amontillado,” by Sharlelie Marquis

For this remediation I chose to do Edgar Allen Poe’s, The Cask of Amontillado. I chose this story because I found its delving into vengeance and extreme hatred fascinating. I also chose it because the ending never sat right with me. It begins with a discourse about retribution and how a wrong is unredressed if retribution overtakes the redressor, and likewise if the victim does not know the cause for the retribution (Page 310). In the original story, Montresor makes Fortunato drunk and never tells him why he is trying to murder Fortunato. Montresor does allude to his family motto, cryptically telling Fortunato that he is being murdered for having wronged the Montresors, but it is not straightforward, and Fortunato is so drunk he cannot walk without aid (page 313). Fortunato is not sober until the entombing process begins, and by then Montresor is no longer making the reasoning for his retribution known, but rather is reveling in a neurotic pleasure contrived by exerting fear and anguish within Fortunato (page 315). Thus, I felt that he had failed his mission. His retribution had overtaken him (the behaviors when he murders Fortunato shows this and the statement “my heart grew sick”) (page 316) and the victim never knew the reasoning for his affliction. Therefore, I already wanted to delve into different possibilities for Montresor before this project was even assigned! What would happen if a servant followed him? What if his planning had a fault in it? What would happen if he hesitated or listened to his conscious? What if the roles reversed and retribution was enacted by Fortunato?

I have a total of ten endings, each of them delving with different aspects of retribution, pride, and hate. My first ending is exactly like the story, since we had to have one path be the original tale. Five of my endings deal with a very similar path, but in them Montresor listens to his feelings of guilt that he ignores in the original path. The versatility in these endings dealing with the same issue, listening to guilt, come from what the variety in the consequences of this action could be. Will he be able to settle the score through other means? Will he get so angry that the guilt that just overcame him will morph back into murderous fervor? Will Fortunato use the moment of hesitation to rid of the nuisance (Montresor) for good? Does Fortunato have a claim for retribution after learning of Montresor’s plans of homicide? The answer is yes for each of these, with different endings to accommodate them.

“The Cask of Amontillado,” by Rhys Kendall and Gabriella Covington

Critical Essays

Video Projects

“Critical Commentary on Frankenstein (1931),” by Sinclair Cox

“Why I’m Inspired,” by Charles Walker

Podcast Projects