Student Project Showcase

Literary Websites

Welcome to Ward’s World: Salvage the Bones, by Jacquelin, Khiarah, Kayla, Allaa, and Chiara

Welcome to the World of Jesymn Ward. This website is dedicated to the American Author Jesymn Ward, and her book Salvage the Bones. Explore Ward and the stories the “bodies” tell in Ward’s World.

As you navigate through the site you may wonder why opted to have a dichotomic tone of liveness and sadness, this is to capture the essence of the novel and the characters. Ward states one purpose of the novel is to “display [Black characters in] the full range of human emotion” (264). Even with the hardscrabble characters enduring Hurricane Katrina and the catastrophic aftermath of it, the characters are still lively, personable, and emotional. One may assume the novel and the character would be solely detached and melancholy, but the tone of the novel is more than that. The tone of the novel is a reflection of the characters with a full range of emotions. We owe it to Ward to present the nature of the novel and characters to the best of our abilities.

Thank you for stopping by.

“I realized that if I was going to assume the responsibility of writing about my home, I needed narrative ruthlessness. I couldn’t dull the edges and spare them. Life does not spare us”(“Salvage the Bones”). – Jesymn Ward.

Interactive Fiction Games

“Paul’s Case,” by Cory Ugone

Since this project is a non-linear remediation, I wanted to use non-linear elements from the very start. From the first passage, the reader is given two options. Following Paul’s afternoon reprimand, the reader had the choice to either send Paul home for supper or to hang around a tobacco shop. Either choice the reader selects will end up giving them a short blurb about their choice and will send them on their way to the same destination, Carnegie Hall. Either choice does not serve to change anything later in the story or alter the story greatly, this was done purposely to ease the user into the non-linear nature of the story. As the story progresses, more advanced non-linear elements were added; these included the use of randomness, variables, and looping.

“Paul’s Case,” by Nikki Lopez

“The Cask of Amontillado,” by Sharlelie Marquis

What would happen if a servant had followed him Montresor? What if his planning had a fault in it? What would happen if he hesitated or listened to his conscious? What if the roles reversed and retribution was enacted by Fortunato?

I have a total of ten endings, each of them delving with different aspects of retribution, pride, and hate. My first ending is exactly like the story, since we had to have one path be the original tale. Five of my endings deal with a very similar path, but in them Montresor listens to his feelings of guilt that he ignores in the original path. The versatility in these endings dealing with the same issue, listening to guilt, come from what the variety in the consequences of this action could be. Will he be able to settle the score through other means? Will he get so angry that the guilt that just overcame him will morph back into murderous fervor? Will Fortunato use the moment of hesitation to rid of the nuisance (Montresor) for good? Does Fortunato have a claim for retribution after learning of Montresor’s plans of homicide? The answer is yes for each of these, with different endings to accommodate them.

“The Old Man Slave and the Mastiff,” by William Rash

Critical Essays

Video Projects

“Remediation of Poe’s ‘The Cask of Amontillado,'” by William Rash

“Critical Commentary on Frankenstein (1931),” by Sinclair Cox

“Why I’m Inspired,” by Charles Walker

Podcast Projects